No announcement yet.

351W Swap time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think any scoop looks right on a panther, not that I have seen thus far. They are a classy car and should retain the factory hood. You can always trim the webbing to gain a little, and/or prop the back of the hood a little (put spacers between the hinges and the hood) gassers did it back in the day, and alot of Honda guys do it to fit the H2B swap under the hood. Anywho keep it under the hood. And please get it in a panther chassis it should boogie quite nicely.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
      I don't think any scoop looks right on a panther, not that I have seen thus far. They are a classy car and should retain the factory hood. You can always trim the webbing to gain a little, and/or prop the back of the hood a little (put spacers between the hinges and the hood) gassers did it back in the day, and alot of Honda guys do it to fit the H2B swap under the hood. Anywho keep it under the hood. And please get it in a panther chassis it should boogie quite nicely.
      x2 on the negative for the scoop
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

That depends heavily on your needs. For someone like me, cutting holes in the hood would almost always be the wrong thing to do. But Ed's not me, and does have a bit of experience in the way of racing and assembling engines that are a lot more interesting than my junk, and if the induction combo he feels suitable doesn't fit under the hood, what concern is it of mine? Maybe I wouldn't especially enjoy looking at any exterior pictures he might post, but that's not a big deal ....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Fordman75 View Post
          So is the hood scoop as long as you can back it up.
          I am not against hood scoops in general. For this build though, I am trying to keep the car looking stock. If neither intake fits under the hood and I have to use a scoop, then it is time to pick up a Victor Jr intake. I doubt that will be the case though.
          It is going to be pretty hard to hide aluminum heads, intake and headers under the hood. I will try to visually downplay the engine though. No bright colors to catch the eye so I will use black plug wires, etc and any wiring will look pretty factory. No big fat wire loom where it doesn't belong, no MSD under the hood, etc. I will look at dark colored engine paints. I like it when people scratch their heads and try to figure out why a car is so quick.

Comment

duplicolor "cast coat iron" for the heads.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
              I am not against hood scoops in general. For this build though, I am trying to keep the car looking stock. If neither intake fits under the hood and I have to use a scoop, then it is time to pick up a Victor Jr intake. I doubt that will be the case though.
              It is going to be pretty hard to hide aluminum heads, intake and headers under the hood. I will try to visually downplay the engine though. No bright colors to catch the eye so I will use black plug wires, etc and any wiring will look pretty factory. No big fat wire loom where it doesn't belong, no MSD under the hood, etc. I will look at dark colored engine paints. I like it when people scratch their heads and try to figure out why a car is so quick.
              Sounds like a nice plan.

When I build an engine for mine, it will more than likely be Ford gray.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                duplicolor "cast coat iron" for the heads.
                +1
                Seen it on a few aluminum heads, done right it looks convincing.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I am hoping that the factory brackets will disguise the smooth surface of the heads a little also. The headers are going to be obvious, but they are natural stainless finished and I may even weather them a bit. The Windsor will take up plenty of room so that they will not look as impressive. I am just using the standard FRPP headers and see how they work for starters. This is not a maximum performance build but a combination of some solid parts with a little sleeper thrown in the recipe....
                  Last edited by Mercracer; 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

You could use that "hammer tone" for the flat spots.

I'll tell you right now with the EFI motor and all the accessories nobody notices anything on my car. Explorer intake, Cobra stamped valve covers, 65mm TB, 80mm MAF, marauder air box...Though I'm sure most of that is because the people around here are idiots...But even the mustang club couldn't figure out my setup.

My favorite comment was when we had a bone stock box next to mine (at a show with both hoods up) and this one guy said "they put ford racing plug wires on it and think it's a racecar"
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I am also considering EFI. I am looking at getting a spacer made to go from the 351W lower to a HO upper. I would put the Big Shot plate just under the HO upper. The bolt pattern is different in the center so I can not just port match. A 1/2" spacer should be thick enough for an adapter. This would raise my upper just over 1" more than just resting on the lower. It would use recessed head screws to attach to the lower and the upper bolts would thread into it.
                      Last edited by Mercracer; 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                        I am hoping that the factory brackets will disguise the smooth surface of the heads a little also. The headers are going to be obvious, but they are natural stainless finished and I may even weather them a bit. The Windsor will take up plenty of room so that they will not look as impressive. I am just using the standard FRPP headers and see how they work for starters. This is not a maximum performance build but a combination of some solid parts with a little sleeper thrown in the recipe....
                        The line I'm planning on to excuse the use of headers (this is on a box right?) is that they don't make the stock downpipe anymore so it was cheaper to buy headers since it lets you bolt them up to a mustang setup.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

There will be no way to excuse the idle rumble. It will be obvious that this car is not bone stock. I simply want to downplay the visual mods so that the ET will be a total suprise to anyone watching and it will leave them scratching their heads...

Comment

Just lie and tell people you have a hole in the muffler and/or the carb needs adjusting. You'd be surprised how easy that is to pull off when you're dealing with idiots.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

its true. Its is very easy to convince people I just have a busted exhaust on an old man car. Not that my car is anything special, But people never expect a thing with a panther.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

yea, people only know what you tell em lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                                X