351W Swap time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    I am also considering EFI. I am looking at getting a spacer made to go from the 351W lower to a HO upper. I would put the Big Shot plate just under the HO upper. The bolt pattern is different in the center so I can not just port match. A 1/2" spacer should be thick enough for an adapter. This would raise my upper just over 1" more than just resting on the lower. It would use recessed head screws to attach to the lower and the upper bolts would thread into it.
    Looks like someone already did the work for me....$99 http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_i...oducts_id=1059

Comment

just add more mufflers

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
        Looks like someone already did the work for me....$99 http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_i...oducts_id=1059

that looks evil, i wish i had a 351 efi lower and that it would work on my 302
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

That still looks tall, taller than my intake that doesn't have enough clearance for me to flip the air cleaner lid without hitting the hood.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            yea, people only know what you tell em lol
            Like G-Stack!
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

A lightning intake is 11.5" tall and a 12" intake should fit under the hood on a 351 car. Just some measurements I've took, no promises lol but 12" should fit.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                That still looks tall, taller than my intake that doesn't have enough clearance for me to flip the air cleaner lid without hitting the hood.
                My first step wil be mocking everyting up with a bare block, heads and my possible intake choices. I have a phenolic spacer I can use to get close to the thickness of that adapter spacer. I am going to try several combinations while my engine compartment is bare including a 429/460 block heads and intake(s) and a couple of header choices I have. I may use this opportunity to fab up a set of BB motor mounts for future use. Who knows... if it looks simple enough I may jump directly to a BB.

Comment

Mercracer: As I found out, exhaust seems to shape the character of a car. Do you already have a performance-type exhaust on your Panther? If you do, you might be able to install glasspacks at the tailpipes to quiet down the car. If not, Dynomax has quite a few mufflers that could quiet down the beast. As far as appearance, perhaps befriend a rat rodder who knows how to spray a rusty-looking paint job on the aluminum heads and intake (as they would call patina).

Mrltd: My favorite comment was when we had a bone stock box next to mine (at a show with both hoods up) and this one guy said "they put ford racing plug wires on it and think it's a racecar" I peed in my pants a little laughing at that comment. Only if they knew.............or found out the hard way how fast your wagon is.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                    Mercracer: As I found out, exhaust seems to shape the character of a car. Do you already have a performance-type exhaust on your Panther? If you do, you might be able to install glasspacks at the tailpipes to quiet down the car. If not, Dynomax has quite a few mufflers that could quiet down the beast.
                    Exhaust will be the last thing I do. I already have a set of MAC headers, H pipe and mufflers with built in turn-downs. I will see how that sounds at idle and then go from there.

Comment

I ran the BC Broncos intake adapter on my 351...I wish I would have known about the Price intake adapters back then....the 351W EFI lower intake is a real turd and requires heavy porting for even lower performance applications. and if you don't have an upper plenum that's been cut open and heavily worked, you'll be shifting by 4000rpm and making peak torque below 3000...not too good if you plan on using a 4500rpm convertor. Done right, it's an okay setup for a daily driver, but it sounds like you're doing just a bit more than that.

I would say damn the consequences and run a victor jr to take full advantage of what sounds like it should be a sweet motor.

Good luck,
                      Don
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                        I ran the BC Broncos intake adapter on my 351...I wish I would have known about the Price intake adapters back then....the 351W EFI lower intake is a real turd and requires heavy porting for even lower performance applications. and if you don't have an upper plenum that's been cut open and heavily worked, you'll be shifting by 4000rpm and making peak torque below 3000...not too good if you plan on using a 4500rpm convertor. Done right, it's an okay setup for a daily driver, but it sounds like you're doing just a bit more than that.

I would say damn the consequences and run a victor jr to take full advantage of what sounds like it should be a sweet motor.

Good luck,
                        Don
                        The nitrous and extra fuel would compensate for a slightly restrictive intake. This motor in the CV would be for more of a novelty factor than for maximum performance. The motor will see its real potential in a Fox body.

Comment

I must have missed the nitrous part...lol. That intake set-up with some port work will produce freight-train like torque though.

Good luck,
                          Don
                          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                          X