No announcement yet.

Quiet Performance Mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys...not to drag up an old thread buttt....I've been looking at the magnaflows. I have flowmaster 40's, the original 40s, on my car now and they drone like crazy at any speed after 60, It's pretty annoying!

I was looking at the XL 3 magnaflows, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-13236/overview/ and I was wondering how different these were from the other regular magnaflows.

I like to hear the car at idle, would like it to be heard when i get on it, but no drone when cruising. Inputs?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Just a fyi I like the 2011 mustang gt mufflers ok. They have a nice sound. They do drone a bit at the low end of third or fourth gear. Once you get past lugging along they are fine. 50-55 is about the worst. At about 60 the drone is gone. I have 3.08 gears.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

3-chamber mufflers... see here: http://www.etrailer.com/Mufflers/MagnaFlow/MF13219.html

regular magnaflows are not baffled but use a perf pipe bent to match up with the offsets (this is what I have on my vic and grand marquis).

This reminds me, I need to make a new exhaust vid for the vic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i have a pair of flow tech raptor turbo style mufflers on my town car.....they are quiet,but "louder" than stock....wide open you can just hear them inside,and at least at idle,they are quiet outside also.......(i think they are $28 bucks a piece)

Comment

Quiet with performance

Shop the Best available Dynomax VT Mufflers parts at the Guaranteed Lowest Prices! High Performance Parts Delivered Fast.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
              Looks nice, a bit pricey, probably worth it though...I doubt they would be reliable in a few years when the components that aren't stainless got rusty and carboned up though.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Ford stainless from Mustangs....
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

i installed walker quietflows for a newer rwd chrysler on yucatechs wagon, nice and quiet!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

straight through design (glasspack)... performance.
                    baffles/chambers... quiet, or loud but neglagable performance gains.

Add me to the pro-magnaflow side if you want a quieter performance muffler unless theres a nicer quality quieter glass pack muffler. Ofcourse good condition cats mellow out the sound without losing flow, as does the volume of your exhaust system (duals, full length tail pipes, and pipe diameter)
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I love my Magnaflows. Had them on both Panthers, the sound is great, and they aren't too terribly loud. My buddy has a pair of Magnaflows on the end of the H-pipe on his Colony Park with no tailpipes and its not even that loud. He has all the cats tho, as do I.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

I have one Dynamax Super Turbo and one Dynamax Hemi Super Turbo on the CV and it was fairly quiet when everything was leak-free. I wonder if it would be a little more quiet with two Hemi SUper Turbos?

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                          i installed walker quietflows for a newer rwd chrysler on yucatechs wagon, nice and quiet!
                          Like.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have no mufflers on my Town Car and not loud enough for me. Has a tad bit of drone but it's more of a background noise, not annoying loud at all. With manifolds, 4 cats and small pipes it's no wonder it's so quiet even with no mufflers. Had people tell me it sounds pretty good but no one has said it's loud, unless I rev it past 3k then it'll scream. And when the cats are cold, and I mean on a cold day, they sound awesome before they get warm when I give it half throttle of more.

But to the point I don't see how reqular 14" case turbo mufflers could be too loud for anyone with a stock lopo, the fan would be louder.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

the drone, i dont care much for drone, my mk7 is downright annoying at certain rpm's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Mufflers are overrated. Open pipes, FTW.
                                '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
                                '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

Working...
                                X