No announcement yet.

Quiet Performance Mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open pipes are redneck and stupid, serving only as a noise maker. Very few folks on this board can benefit from an open exhaust; those that can probably still use a muffler of some sort...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
      Open pipes are redneck and stupid, serving only as a noise maker. Very few folks on this board can benefit from an open exhaust; those that can probably still use a muffler of some sort...
      Cutouts FTW!!! Best of both worlds.

Packman

Comment

You might check out the IMCO 2 pass turbo mufflers. They are also one of the few that are galvized inside and out. Most dont do the inside. They are made in Texas also bought up thrush a while back. I run the IMCO 3 pass muffs on the dually and same ones on Creamy. About as quiet as stock so I dont need a 1000 watt amp or ear plugs like the 3" Flowmaster junk on my 78 4x4 150.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          Cutouts FTW!!! Best of both worlds.

Packman
          Actually, a 2.5" full exhaust with no cats & no mufflers serves me just fine. Mean at idle, step on it for full-angry, and with the crossover, no drone.

Plus, all the noise is from under the hood or behind the rear axle, just as the gods intended!
          Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

people might want to read the title of this thread before posting

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

NO! Reading is for uppity people!
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

It's amazing to me how much a Magnaflow keeps the exhaust quiet when you look inside it. I went from a burned out Summit glasspack (stupid choice, it has a louvered core, if you're gonna get a glasspack at all a perforated core flows better) to an 18" Mag and it was night and day, when from loud and annoying to smooth, deep and toned. And when I had my 24" case Mag on it with no cat, it was very quiet in the cab with tails out the back, could barely hear it at all inside.

I vote Magnaflow but since they're stainless and a tad pricey it's worth it to put one in a stainless system, for a temporary aluminum system a turbo muffler works great, they're not even loud with no cats and perform better than any OEM-style muffler.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                  Redneck and stupid? Hardly. On my old '89 i replaced the cats and muffler with pipe. Sounded pretty damn good and was only loud when i got on it. Some drone at certain speeds, but that was easily remedied by driving a different speed.

Honestly, in my opinion for a quiet exhaust that flows well keep it single exit 2 1/4" pipe with a resonator. Do cats if you're worried about emissions or want it toned down a bit more. Lo-Po 302s don't really make alot of noise as it is.

But, that's just my opinion.
                  '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
                  '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
                    Redneck and stupid? Hardly. On my old '89 i replaced the cats and muffler with pipe. Sounded pretty damn good and was only loud when i got on it. Some drone at certain speeds, but that was easily remedied by driving a different speed.

Honestly, in my opinion for a quiet exhaust that flows well keep it single exit 2 1/4" pipe with a resonator. Do cats if you're worried about emissions or want it toned down a bit more. Lo-Po 302s don't really make alot of noise as it is.

But, that's just my opinion.
                    a 2 1/4 single is a restriction, even on a stock lopo. A significant one.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Interesting find with cutouts and EFI. Data loging my set up with the 3 pass mufflers and the 5.0 EFI Victor set up. Tuning for closed cutouts fairly close to correct found that open cutouts required a seperate tune about 20% richer. With the carbs dosent seem to matter. Havent rebuilt and reinstalled the cutouts this year as flooring Creamy with them completely closed bent the blades in them a few times. 25.00 apeace for the parts to rebuild.
                      Without the seperate tune for open cutouts with the EFI set up Creamy was slower.

Comment

My buddy's '91 came with 1/2 an H-pipe that was completely rotted off of the cats. The other half and 1 of the tailpipes were missing, and the 1/2 that was there was tied up to the floor. Anyway, he drove it like that for 6mo, no obvious ill effects to the car. Really wasn't that loud, the 4 cats quieted it down quite a bit, but it did rattle everything in the interior and give you a foot massage. Still haven't found wagon tails for it, but we bought an OEM H-pipe and tails from a '90 Town Car. H-pipe bolted right in, welded Magnaflows to it, but the tails will require work to fit.
                        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                          a 2 1/4 single is a restriction, even on a stock lopo. A significant one.
                          Sorry, I meant to write 2 1/2. 2 1/4 is stock size is what I was thinking of when I wrote that.

And I don't mean to undermine what any of you guys are saying. You've all been around boxes and 5.0s alot longer then, I'm sure. This is just what I feel would perform best for the power made and the majority of driving done. I hardly ever get above 3K rpm. Having an exhaust that flows best at 5K means it's too big elsewhere and that can hurt just as much as being too small.
                          '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
                          '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

touche. And to the extream, with my electric cutouts... they lose 12ft/lbs of tq but gain me 10hp on a 300hp motor. With the heavy cars I lost a few hundredths in the quarter. Although my a/f ratio didn't change. On nitrous the cutouts gained lots of necesary extra breathing at 500hp and picked up nearly a tenth in the quarter over going through an exhaust system. For a 300hp or less car on the street, I cant see a magnaflow being beat performance wise or sound wise.
                            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I replaced the section of piping right behind the H-pipe (cat'd) to the driver's side muff. I cut the one end right behind the cut out and un bolted the flange. It turns out that the flange developed a rotted hole, which created fatigue, that resulted in twisting a larger hole at the flange. We got used to the noise except my father. Now that everything is replaced, it's much more quiet and no drone in the car. Yay me Though my mom is pissed now. Oh well, can't please everybody. And yes, the Dynomax's are fairly quiet; but that's for a lopo. Dunno how they would sound with anything hotter.

Packman

Comment

At one point I had equi headers off road mustag H pipe 2 1/2 ioto stock dual mufflers. Pulled 270 RWT at 2500 RPM. maxed around 3400 300 RWT at 4600 had 270 RWT. Strange thing HP and torq curves never crossed. If they would have had to be near 6K intake probably the most limiting factor. It was real quick and got the 32.9 MPG highway and 22 ish in town.

Comment

Working...
                                X