No announcement yet.

Mystery Distributor/ help an idiot get durasparked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A remotely controlled distributor? lol.........
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
      Congrats, you just bought a California edition distributor

My cousin had the same thing on his bronco, and from what i recall, there should a brain box under the passenger or drivers seat to control it.

Its also non-adjustable distributor, hence why it was a Cali only thing, so you couldnt get more power than the factory intended, etc.

But yes, it would be best used as a doorstop/paper weight.
      Oh well, mystery solved I suppose.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Wait, I also just remembered that the ignition control module was different, and his even had a crank sensor, which triggered the distributor. It also shouldnt have had any wires or vaccum lines going to the dist.

I forgot how it all worked, as it was a very stupid setup, so we just switched it over to an HEI and all is well.
        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

this didn't appear to have any connectors and had no evidence of ever having vacuum advance installed.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

thats what he is saying. just a bare dizzy case.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

crank trigger eh? Interesting. EEC3 used that with a Duraspark box. Not quite sure how it interfaced, but it did. I think it was a regular dspark box but it connected through the computer somehow, not direct to the crank trigger. I wonder if that Bronco wasn't EEC3 / feedback carb instead of EEC3/CFI. I know they made EEC IV carb engines. I've seen an F250 with an I6, a TFI module, and a 1bbl on it.
              Last edited by gadget73; 02-11-2011, 01:43 AM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                crank trigger eh? Interesting. EEC3 used that with a Duraspark box. Not quite sure how it interfaced, but it did. I think it was a regular dspark box but it connected through the computer somehow, not direct to the crank trigger. I wonder if that Bronco wasn't EEC3 / feedback carb instead of EEC3/CFI. I know they made EEC IV carb engines. I've seen an F250 with an I6, a TFI module, and a 1bbl on it.
                have you seen under the hood of my lincoln?
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Yea, EEC-III sucks. Crank position sensor with a distributor to control spark, what a crock of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    Yea, EEC-III sucks. Crank position sensor with a distributor to control spark, what a crock of shit.
                    they had to start somewhere.
                    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                    1994 MGM GS Montigua
                    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

no I haven't looked at your Conti, but I've seen EEC3 in action before. It works just fine when it works. Its like EEC4 cfi really. I've driven some 84-85 models that ran like a watch. I've driven those same cars that ran like absolute shit though.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                        they had to start somewhere.
                        Then tell me why they axed the complete spark control by the computer when they released EEC-IV and used it for over a decade.

Comment

It was kind of ahead of its time. That system came back in later cars with the crank trigger and the ECM driven spark control. Maybe it didn't quite work out as intended in the early version but honestly you don't hear about that many ignition system problems with eec3. The crank triggers got funky from being in a bad spot where oil leaked into them and stuff, but its not like they were baking parts at an abnormal rate. I'd go so far as to say the TFI module is not really any more reliable.

Comment

Including the remote TFI units?

Comment

Considering the stock ones are capable of lasting past the 200k point, I really don't consider the tfi ignition system to be unreliable at all. I was just making the case that the eec3 setup is not really any more unreliable than TFI or regular old Duraspark. I bet points ignitions shit out way more often. Having owned breaker point cars, and worked on a lot of points fired boats, I can tell you they definitely need a lot more TLC than electronic ignitions of any sort do.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                Considering the stock ones are capable of lasting past the 200k point, I really don't consider the tfi ignition system to be unreliable at all. I was just making the case that the eec3 setup is not really any more unreliable than TFI or regular old Duraspark. I bet points ignitions shit out way more often. Having owned breaker point cars, and worked on a lot of points fired boats, I can tell you they definitely need a lot more TLC than electronic ignitions of any sort do.
                                agreed! that also goes for the points that havent been set right, or the loser customer left his key on for 2 hours. i hate doing points. more so cause, the damn dizzy is burried in the transom. stupid GM lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                                X