CFI. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical fuel pump conversion notes:

My '87 motor came with a fuel pump eccentric already installed. No idea why, but since it was there I went ahead and reused it when ditching the SEFI and installing a mechanical fuel pump.

Said '87 motor also came with a timing cover I was able to reuse. It was equipped with the necessary fuel-pump mounting bosses, but the hole for the pump lever was not cut. I opened that up with a drill and some files and reinstalled it, and it's been serving my needs ever since.

So just saying, wait till you've got your junk apart before you go to the trouble of obtaining a new eccentric and timing cover.

I went ahead and obtained a replacement '79 wagon tank for the above swap. I had a lousy time finding a fuel pickup (probably should have been asking for a sending unit instead), and ended up making my own out of the old fuel-level sending unit. Not sure I recommend that route, but I did end up with a 3/8" pickup in that car (stock is 5/16", which means my P72 will eventually need to be upgraded somehow).

As for actually swapping the tank, just make sure your work surface isn't asphalt and/or you're not laying directly on it! One of my work jackets permanently turned a funny color from the fuel-dissolved tar when I had to swap a tank in an asphalt apartment parking lot. Also got a letter from management threatening to tow the car if they saw it left in the air ever again. (I actually still have an extra carb-wagon fuel tank with only a year of use, but haven't yet found anyone who needs it. )
    Last edited by 1987cp; 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
    X