Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever ran a cobra cam in box panther before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now this is with stock rockers? Or 1.7 rollers?

Comment

I can get E7s with upgraded springs for $125, can get 1.7 rollers with it for another $125. If I get work I'll definitely look into that.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'll be interested to take my car to scottfest this summer and see how it really stacks up against others.
        I'm running an explorer cam.
        My sense is that it's not bad, not bad-- but if I really stomp on the gas and get it to hang in a lower gear at 4000rpm, it doesn't have much more power than at 3000rpm. Torque curve probably tapers off? So it's a much more fun daily driver than it used to be, but if you REALLY want to tear off the high-end power is not there.
        My knowledge of performance mods is still sophomoric.

I found that a matching drivetrain was crucial, too: 3.55s, 2k stall converter, and mild valve body kit. Of those I suspect the rear gears was the most important.

I actually cannot seem to get wheel spin :-/

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
          I'll be interested to take my car to scottfest this summer and see how it really stacks up against others.
          I'm running an explorer cam.
          My sense is that it's not bad, not bad-- but if I really stomp on the gas and get it to hang in a lower gear at 4000rpm, it doesn't have much more power than at 3000rpm. Torque curve probably tapers off? So it's a much more fun daily driver than it used to be, but if you REALLY want to tear off the high-end power is not there.
          My knowledge of performance mods is still sophomoric.

I found that a matching drivetrain was crucial, too: 3.55s, 2k stall converter, and mild valve body kit. Of those I suspect the rear gears was the most important.

I actually cannot seem to get wheel spin :-/
          What kinda tires are you running?
          Converter definitely plays a part in how well the car goes. The 3.55 gears are an excellent gear. Especially for the Explorer Cam which is most definitely a torque cam.

Josh, 1.7 or 1.72? And pedestal or stud mount?

Comment

Going out of your way for a cobra type cam is a waste...they used it in the cobra because the GT40 iron heads don't have good low lift flow and they needed to do something to get torque back and it didn't really hurt top end with those heads...but the E7's are already lacking in flow everywhere...if you have 3.27's or less and an AOD with the stock 4200rpm governor than it's propbably a decent choice, but there are many better to be had.

An explorer long-block(GT40 or GT40P) will anihilate an HO long-block with the cobra cam(given identical intake/exhaust)...not that I'm saying the explorer cam is THAT much better, it's just better matched to the heads on it.

Basically, almost any cam is a waste of time and money with stock E7's...regardless of intake/exhaust set-up. Just an explorer intake will give you more than swapping from one factory cam to any other factory cam.

-Don
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

1.72 pedestal mount
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

what about heads vs. intake?
                I have an explorer cam, and gt40 heads, but kept the HO intake for low end torque.
                Worth going to explorer intake too?

Will it f*ck my stock speed density setup?

Comment

maybe. won't know til you try, unfortunately.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                    what about heads vs. intake?
                    I have an explorer cam, and gt40 heads, but kept the HO intake for low end torque.
                    Worth going to explorer intake too?

Will it f*ck my stock speed density setup?

Honestly, with these cars and their hatred for being modded, anything other than a 100% factory HO swap will cause some sort of issue.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Now this is with stock rockers? Or 1.7 rollers?

Stock Rockers, and I'm running Mass Air.

The cobra cam runs Flawlessly in my setup, not a single hiccup. Has a very smooth idle, and smooth acceleration feel to it, to boot.

Fits these Luxo-Boats well, imo.

Comment

A few years ago, I ran a GT40 iron headed HO with Explorer intake and speed density...it wasn't the happiest thing in the world but if it wasn't for the car running out of fuel pump at 3800-4000rpm it would've been a little better...it also had 1 3/4" LT headers...that set up loved'em.
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I'm running GT40 intakes, P heads. The cam was 30 bucks. And a few hours of my time. Well worth it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            I'm running GT40 intakes, P heads. The cam was 30 bucks. And a few hours of my time. Well worth it IMO.
                            I was just getting ready to comment on matching that cam with P heads as I was scrolling down reading posts...lol.

The ultimate torque gain is found by way of a 351w in my opinion...I didn't understand just how awesome it was until I did the swap in my old T-bird...that thing had the exact same power band as an HO but with a crap-ton more torque everywhere.

Comment

Well i guess this year will be the battle of the boxes me thinks alot of Ho swap or HO full swapped cars coming apparently, my own included. my setup will have the full Ho motor swap,gt40p heads,gt40 intake,3.55 gears , i want a list of everyone attending,and who has what swapped over, group picture,and some video will be in order, we may end up having a big panther shootout just for fun
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                                I was just getting ready to comment on matching that cam with P heads as I was scrolling down reading posts...lol.

The ultimate torque gain is found by way of a 351w in my opinion...I didn't understand just how awesome it was until I did the swap in my old T-bird...that thing had the exact same power band as an HO but with a crap-ton more torque everywhere.
                                Sure. 351w are torquier than 302s definitely. But they're worse on gas for the most part. And fuel injection is almost impossible in a box without a 351w lightning lower, or an aftermarket stand alone setup. Which is what I would want had I went the route of a 351w.

Comment

Working...
                                X