Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever ran a cobra cam in box panther before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Sure. 351w are torquier than 302s definitely. But they're worse on gas for the most part. And fuel injection is almost impossible in a box without a 351w lightning lower, or an aftermarket stand alone setup. Which is what I would want had I went the route of a 351w.
    There is a much cheaper solution...stock truck/van lower with a BC Broncos intake adapter...that's what I ran in my 88 T-bird when I was living in Jersey. The lower was ported, the adapter was port matched to it and the HO upper plenum was cut open fully ported and had 3" of internal runner length removed(thus making for more plenum volume). Still have the parts but won't be using them again...I ran into a good paying job finally and am going to be running a hogged out Professional Products EFI intake(chinese edelbrock performer rpm knock-off).

When I did that swap(from lopo 5.0 to the 351w) I only lost 2mpg city and highway mileage was unchanged even when I went back to a clutch fan. Good times!

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

i want to see a 347 stroker efi in a panther. that would be the shit as my buddy had one in a monarch and it was stupid fast....
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
        i want to see a PROPERLY TUNED 347 stroker efi in a panther. that would be the shit as my buddy had one in a monarch and it was stupid fast....
        Fixed that for you...

Comment

If you're gonna sink a bunch of money into a small block Ferd stroker, make it a 351w based stroker. 408 cubes from a stock block and main caps that won't go for a walk
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

351 isnt bad on gas with a six speed behind them buddy has one in a stang and its efi, it also runs 10s on spray hehe its cammed out too pretty nasty little car
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
              351 isnt bad on gas with a six speed behind them buddy has one in a stang and its efi, it also runs 10s on spray hehe its cammed out too pretty nasty little car
              Who has the money for a freakin 6 speed?

Comment

The guy/gal who has money for the tuned and matched 351W stroker?

Packman

Comment

I'd do the six speed if I were to go manual. Might as well go all out if you can.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I actually know of a guy who did an EFI 351 swap in a Mark VII and gained fuel economy over the 302 HO that was in there. I believe he's running a 4R70w. The 351 is stock displacement but it has a cam and some other stuff, along with a tune. I forget specifics, but its on lincolnsonline somewhere if anyone really wants to dig it up. Economy with a 351 and non-silly expensive transmissions is possible with the right setup.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fixed that for you...
                      Im not sure about a properly tuned 347 as i have prof of my buddys monarch being solid for 3 years straight. He walks away from everything with a 5 speed and he gets 19 mpgs hauling ass on the freeway with the a/c on and made 349 hp at the dyno. I agree a 351w stroker would be better for power but if i had the money and could stop throwing parts at my 160 hp 5.0s i would do something else but who has the money for any bad ass builds now days. Anyone here ever put high compression head from a 60s 302 on there gms? I know other car guys with other makes do that swap all day long.
                      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
                      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

this guy here does. good freind of mine
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I ordered me a set of 1.7 roller rockers today. I don't feel like figuring out what valve covers and shit would be needed for non cobra roller rockers. So I got a set off late model resto. Stock valve covers... yay!

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                            i want to see a 347 stroker efi in a panther. that would be the shit as my buddy had one in a monarch and it was stupid fast....

SF1. Mercury Colony Park with an EFI stroker. Thing was friggin mean.
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I ordered me a set of 1.7 roller rockers today. I don't feel like figuring out what valve covers and shit would be needed for non cobra roller rockers. So I got a set off late model resto. Stock valve covers... yay!
                              I hope you like valvetrain noise, and be prepared to buy 6.3" pushrods and FRPP shims as well. I went through all that to get mine installed, I think I'll just try running ungodly high levels of lifter preload when I get back home to try and shut it up.
                              1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                                I hope you like valvetrain noise, and be prepared to buy 6.3" pushrods and FRPP shims as well. I went through all that to get mine installed, I think I'll just try running ungodly high levels of lifter preload when I get back home to try and shut it up.
                                6.3" pushrods? Why? Didn't the cobra run the same length pushrods?

Comment

Working...
                                X