Explorer/engine questions; need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer/engine questions; need advice

I'm trying to determine the best way to build power into my 91 MGM 301 lopo with 140k on it. I've got a good 2.5" exhaust system and an HO intake waiting in the garage which has been a good start. Would I be better off sticking with the HO conversion, buying a 351w and getting it cleaned, bored etc, or just buying a crate motor? I want to up the performance and be able to take it to the track while keeping it somewhat of a daily driver.

Also I'm a bit confused about the 351W motors... were all the 95-01 (2nd gen) 5.0L explorer's 351W's or were some of them 301's?
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post

Also I'm a bit confused about the 351W motors... were all the 95-01 (2nd gen) 5.0L explorer's 351W's or were some of them 301's?

What? 96-01 5.0 explorers....... are 5.0 explorers. Only differnece is 96 and early 97's have gt40's(non-p) and intakes with the egr hole.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Never heard of a 351 in an explorer.

5.0 liter=302
      5.8 liter=351
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

to qoute froma buddies FB "Crates are for eggs, not engines. A guy came in with his Jeep with a "re-manufactured" crate engine that came from a big box chain Auto Parts store. After a whopping 126 miles it has a broken valve spring, a seized wrist pin, tore up front cam bearing and the wrong rod bearings on one rod."

the expos got 5.0s and then went 4.6 after that.

89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
          to qoute froma buddies FB "Crates are for eggs, not engines. A guy came in with his Jeep with a "re-manufactured" crate engine that came from a big box chain Auto Parts store. After a whopping 126 miles it has a broken valve spring, a seized wrist pin, tore up front cam bearing and the wrong rod bearings on one rod."

the expos got 5.0s and then went 4.6 after that.

When my uncle was building his foxbody into a drag car he originally purchased a 5.0 H.O. from a junkyard. His thinking was that since his stock block was cracked he would just pick that one up and have it bored .030 over. Upon closer inspection it had bores any where from standard to between .020-.060 over. I wonder how that mess would have run. He ended up deciding to send it back and go to a 351.
          Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

I'm obviously confused. What do we pull our 351's from
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

If you're lucky and have a P72, you already have a 351W. Otherwise, you can get a 351W from a F/E-250 or the full-size Bronco's. From 1995 (could be 1994 too) to '01, the 351W engines had factory hydraulic roller cams. They're the F4TE blocks. Hopefully somebody will come and answer your question with a bit more accuracy and depth than I can off the top of my head.

Packman

Comment

I've seen 351's in f250's and a few f150's from 1985-97. I've never seen anything but a 4.6 or 5.4 modular in anything 98 up. Although I know some p72's had 351's I've only seen 5.0 p72's in person.

Comment

I was talking with a mustang guy, and apparently the 351w conversion is at least a little involved? I don't even know if my accessories would bolt up?
                  In any case, I need to keep some vestige of fuel economy, and wrote off on what might turn into a quagmire trying to get everything to work right.
                  It might not be as bad as I'm imagining.

An HO intake alone gets you very little. I did an explorer swap, but with the HO intake and explorer cam, and I'm happy, but I've got no top end. I've driven a year with this setup.
                  So next week, I'm pulling the engine to put in a proper camshaft, explorer intake, stiffer valve springs, roller rockers, and a massair conversion (finally found a harness/computer for a fair price), and I think that'll hold me for a while. Also putting in a cvpi airbox, if that helps anything.

First thing though, check your rear axle gear ratios, and make it at least a 3.55. That wakes up even a bone stock lopo!

Comment

The stock accessories mostly bolt up. The power steering bracket you can only get one bolt in, but it works. The AC side you need the 351-specific upper AC bracket. They can be had, but you're looking for a cop car to rob them from. You have to get a little creative with the intake and fuel rail and the exhaust. It can certainly be done but its not as direct of a swap as another 302 thats for sure.

Amusingly enough, the Mustang 351 swap oil pan is nothing more than a factory Crown Vic P72 351 oil pan.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If I wanted to build around 350-400hp is it going to be easier to build my 301 up or get a 351 out of one of the above mentioned fords? As I read in the HO thread it seems some people think it would be easier to just get the engine cleaned, honed etc and just have a new engine. I wish I had a 351 in my GM lol Also, whats a p72? And I also double checked the vin, exact description; 5.0L V8 OHV 16V :\
                      Last edited by Stealthlead; 07-19-2012, 12:11 AM.

Comment

you dont need 350 hp.........my townie has 222 hp at the rear wheels and it hauls ass.......be realistic, a 350-400 hp build is gonna cost you six figures till it's all said and done and then the trans will need to be done too.

351 windsor production started in 1969, stopped in 1997........95-97 engines have a roller cam, in fact it's the same cam the 96-01 explorer used.......a 351w swap is going to require the 351 oil pan and pickup for a fox chassis or a panther, 351w swap headers and then you gotta find a 351 vic in the junkyard for the a/c brackets. if going with efi an intake that clears the hood for a 351w is going to run you about 500 new.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                        X