Cooling issues? T-stat mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling issues? T-stat mod.

I found this by accident. Has anyone heard of doing this?

http://www.dieselgiant.com/thermosta...ntandmodif.htm

Sent from my '85 Lincolin Town Car
    Using Tapatalk

I've drilled one small hole to help bleed air. Some newer thermotstats have a built in little check ball for that purpose.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

hell no!
      might as well take the thing out

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I only use OEM and call it a fucking day!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I've used those with the 'jiggle valve' (bit of crimped metal in the hole. It does seem to make a difference. Mostly I notice that as the temp climbs, that peak that occurs with a conventional stat before it opens is not as big, smaller temperature swing overall.

Couple days ago I gutted the thermostat in my truck (see previous post of potential head gasket failure) and now my temp guage barely rises, if at all, over my commute. Certainly not a recommended mod, and certainly not that hodge podge of holes posted above.

Alex.

Comment

the thermostat sets the minimum operating temperature. Thats it. If its letting the engine overheat its usually either sticking or it just doesn't open far enough to allow for proper coolant flow. Most of the time overheating is a clogged radiator or bad fan clutch or some other problem. A little hole to bleed air is one thing, but big holes pretty much just bypass it and cause overly slow warmups. Running the engine too cold actually makes things wear faster too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So let me guess, most of you don't like this idea...

Using Tapatalk

Comment

The holes defeat the purpose of what the thermostat is supposed to do. May as well just remove it. Engines are made to run most efficient when they are warmed up. With this setup, you may never get there.
                Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                  The holes defeat the purpose of what the thermostat is supposed to do. May as well just remove it. Engines are made to run most efficient when they are warmed up. With this setup, you may never get there.
                  I agree to an extent. at the same time you have to look at the context of the article that I posted along with it as for why this was done with this particular vehicle. now it is also possible that other vehicles suffering from the same issue, undersized radiators, misengineered cooling systems this might be beneficial. that is not to say that I am going to run out and do it for no reason to my Lincoln

Using Tapatalk

Comment

if you drill... only 1 hole and keep it small. you shouldn't even need a hole in the t-stat except for the tiny ass one that comes in the replacement buggers to help burp the system.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X