now I get the stiff spring attraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now I get the stiff spring attraction

I finally understand why you folks install those crazy rate springs: it forces you to drive slower for fear of your teeth coming out. I swapped out my 98-02 Grand Marq 710 in/lb springs for a set of HD sedan coils, 433 in/lb and the improvement in ride was just amazing. It dropped the front end 3/4" to stock levels, softened the ride by vast amounts, and made the steering more stable because the suspension was taking up the crappy roads. I came home tonight and had an extremely difficult time keeping the car under 75.

I also realize just how bad the rear control arm bushings are, and how badly I need body mounts. The front fenders bounce on uneven road because the mounts are all but gone now. Must find a source for body mounts and replace the rear lower control arm bushings and it should be good as new. 433 in/lb FTW, screw those stiff POS springs.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

What are u doin with the stiff springs? The 88 needs lift lol.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Those are the right springs too boxman. You still gonna need to block the back ones. If you want it to sit level. May as well go to 31's too. My car looked ridiculous on 235/75-15.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I plan on putting wagon cargo coils in the back, is that the right idea?
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

hahahahahaaaaa... I'd keep it under 75 because of the soft springs. Enjoy doing a panic stop and/or lane change at high speeds with those springs.

My car is comfy and quiet over 75, even with stiff springs all around.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Is it a bad idea to use cut engine springs in the rear? Will it be bad for the springs/suspension if I did that?
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
              Is it a bad idea to use cut engine springs in the rear? Will it be bad for the springs/suspension if I did that?
              Uhm , what now?

You mean cut FRONT springs in the rear? You can do that but the ride will be very harsh and you will need to modify the spring perches. AOD did that on his car. I would suggest cargo coils or street stock rear spring replacements.

Comment

hhmmm. now I am comfused!!!!!! what springs does scott have in his??? it felt perfect.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                  Uhm , what now?

You mean cut FRONT springs in the rear? You can do that but the ride will be very harsh and you will need to modify the spring perches. AOD did that on his car. I would suggest cargo coils or street stock rear spring replacements.
                  Yeah, I meant front springs. I was thinkin the ones that support the weight of the engine. I don't mind a harsh ride, but how would I moddify the spring perches? What needes to be done to them?

Comment

Scott has stock original front springs and cargo coils in the back. I'm using slightly stiffer front and rear springs, but it feels quite nice. The annoyingly stiff springs made the front end bounce all over the place, lane changes and even maintenance were far more difficult. It just rolls along with ease now.

Boxman: If you want them, make me an offer. They're sitting in the corner in the box.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nice - I think Id go with what you have.
                      I rode in both Nate's and Jonnies and they didnt feel too stiff, but we didnt go on any rough roads or do any quick maneuvering.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

88Vic, the spring diameters are different. You need to make the perches larger.

Thain, I'm surprised the car felt like that. Mine drives great, the rear was the cause of the harshness in mine. And even more surprising is the stiffer springs made it MORE comfortable. On rough roads the car does shimmy, but the steering is fine.

My old vic wasn't too bad with Moog HD stock replacements. Rode great, but didn't handle like I wanted it to. But, we have different tastes and want different things out of our cars.(and since it's different than mine, I will ridicule you)

Comment

Could I use the front perches in the rear, or is it more complicated than that?

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                            hahahahahaaaaa... I'd keep it under 75 because of the soft springs. Enjoy doing a panic stop and/or lane change at high speeds with those springs.

My car is comfy and quiet over 75, even with stiff springs all around.
                            Exactly, thank you! The only time I really feel the stiffness of the "superduty" springs is if I hit a speed bump faster than I should, other than that the ride is pretty darn comfy. With the wider tires off Turbo's son's Crown Vic the car was like stuck to the ground, handled like crazy at all speeds. With stock springs even taking a wide turn on the freeway is a scary experience when the speedometer gets out of range. To everyone their own, I guess, but I'd never replace the "superduty" springs with stockers - if I want a floaty boaty feeling I'd just buy a bigass pre-'80s Grand Marquis

Comment

Ahh I don't know what to offer. What do you need for em? lol
                              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

Working...
                              X