Rear shock time...Decisions and modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock time...Decisions and modification

Pulled a shock off this morning to do some measurements. Found that the shock is dead, it didn't extend after compression. The other thing I found is that there isn't much travel from static ride hieght to full extension. Ride hieght is 19", full extension is ~20.75. So less than 2" of travel. And we all know that the car has more body roll than that, even with my modifications. I think it's safe to say that it's a signifigant contributor to my oversteer.

So, now I need to decide on replacements. Mustang and fox bodies use similar dimension shocks. So, afco 1043, a few koni's, and other street stock shocks would fit. the problem with all of them will be the length at ride hieght. A 1-2" extension on the upper stud would probably help me out and get the ride hieght to be closer to the mid point of shock travel.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Looking at my measured ride hieght, the 55-57 impala/97+ Ford F150 application would be nice, with 4.5" of travel in both directions. Not cheap for the QA1 adjustable though, 140 bucks each...A few in the $40-70 range, edelbrock, KYB, bilstien, etc...

Comment

Could explain the oversteer for sure if the shock hits the end of it's travel and suddenly stops body movement. II should check mine out and see what kind of travel I get. I think my car probably sits lower since I'm running 22 year old springs vs your much more recent ones.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        Could explain the oversteer for sure if the shock hits the end of it's travel and suddenly stops body movement. II should check mine out and see what kind of travel I get. I think my car probably sits lower since I'm running 22 year old springs vs your much more recent ones.

Yup. When the shock hits the limit of travel it will lift the tire. instantly you now have half the contact patch in the rear.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

hhmmm.... is this only an issue during very hard cornering???
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The shock hitting full extension explains the oversteer. I can lift the inside rear wheel during hard cornering.(It happens in my autocross videos a lot) Makes the F'er rotate really well though. Not so much fun on high speed sweepers though. The car rides like shit, all due to the rear suspension. Rough roads scare me, car hops all over the place. I need to get some shocks soon....

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
              hhmmm.... is this only an issue during very hard cornering???
              id say it is an issue with any spirited cornering. i can take almost an inch out of my rear suspension just pulling up on a fender. get a 4000# car moving and it can easily lift two inches out of it.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

so say I put a piece of tape on the tip of the exposed shock shaft, then jack the frame up till the wheel comes up... is this measurement the additional saft travel? I'll have to check this out... might need to be standard swap with taller springs
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

An on most other cars, it'll be worse, because of lower rate springs and swaybars which equals more body roll....

Pete, just unbolt the lower mount and see how far it travels down from ride hieght.... Mine only has about 1" until full extension.

Comment

Here's a pic of the lack of travel....

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Mike%20R/P1010083.JPG

So approximately 1.5" extension and 5.5" compression...Not great for handling

Comment

Wow! lack of travel is a good way to blow a shock..lol And the before mentioned handling problems.
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I like my konis. I do know the problem you speak of mike, the konis off the mustang seemed to have fixed it, when I had the low pro's on. But I blew one the other day and it seems to do ok with the claws on. But my sidewalls flex before my springs ever will.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                          Looking at my measured ride hieght, the 55-57 impala/97+ Ford F150 application would be nice, with 4.5" of travel in both directions. Not cheap for the QA1 adjustable though, 140 bucks each...A few in the $40-70 range, edelbrock, KYB, bilstien, etc...
                          Were were you when I posted info on ride height and stock shocks being short. The 56 Chevy shocks will work for cheap.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
                            Were were you when I posted info on ride height and stock shocks being short. The 56 Chevy shocks will work for cheap.
                            I was there...and those are the shocks I was looking at. Wondering about valving... Where have you been hiding for the last week????

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                              I was there...and those are the shocks I was looking at. Wondering about valving... Where have you been hiding for the last week????
                              Been busy moving to new diggs 400 miles away. The weather is making it a mess.
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                              X