No announcement yet.

Michelin Tires:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires in general don't seem to be the same as I remember. I have no evidence for this, just anecdotal. The tire material itself seems way less "firm".

Moreover, I think the whole "this is a 70,000 mile rated tire " is bullshit....the only difference between that and a "40,000 mile" rated tire is the price. If I were to take each set of tires and run 20,000 miles on a MI road, I can almost guarantee the same amount of tread will be left.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Don't even think 50K tires exist never mind 70K!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

As I said my tires went around 7500 miles and dry rotted to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          As I said my tires went around 7500 miles and dry rotted to hell.
          I'm sure tires are not made as well as years ago (on purpose, I'm sure) but mostly sitting will do that to any tires.

Comment

And yet the spare in the trunk since 1997 is still good to go. I guess because it has lived 100% in the trunk covered up with the Ford faux trunk carpet.

Comment

yup, mileage is unrelated to sun exposure. The spare in the Continental has been there since Reagan's first term and its fine, the tires that were on it were from 1994 and so cracked I could damn near see the air inside.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Too much solid sun exposure will kill them "before their time".

Comment

Well I am sure the West Lakes will do me fine, for $400.00 mounted and balanced, I can not complain.

Comment

That’s too bad. I used to always run Michelins. They rode well and lasted, but i easily racked up 50k in 3yrs tho. Running mastercrafts now on the Expedition and Brutus, my 88 F250. What I was amazed with was the cop tires that came on my 2010 Vic. Those Goodyear eagle pursuit were by far the best tires I’ve had. Went to replace with those but they are VERY expensive. I might on the towny.
                    Last edited by p71towny; 11-12-2023, 10:36 PM.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                    X