No announcement yet.

aero rear end in a box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock stuff is for stock-ish power (up to about 400hp/ftlbs maybe 450). Not sure what was the first weak link, but it's not the driveshaft. I think it was the trans actually, but I'm not certain.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yea driveshafts themselves are strong, it's the rpm's they don't like. Lol

Comment

if you use the alumimum or metal matrix one its fine, steel shakes when it really winds up but thats not whats going to break.

Depending what you're doing, the trans or the diff are usually the weak point. The AOD in stock form doesn't love more than about 250, but its also very possible to send the ring gear through the cover of the diff with not overly radical engines. More likely with a manual, they do not love having the clutch dumped.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's getting a big block 460" and c6 and I'm going to do burnouts consisting of 180*s and 360*s for 1-2 minutes until the tires pop. Driveshaft speed will be 5-6k rpm's that entire time.

Comment

Hey Cameron, nice to see you here

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! Good to see you as well! (I won't lie, I don't remember exactly where your name sounds familiar from though! LOL

Comment

Picked this boi up today.

Comment

Nice... includes the parking brake cable. That should be a pretty easy install.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X