More mods/repairs to come....Damn old cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
    Well, broke more stuff today. Steering column broke. And found that the u-joint in the column was worse than I thought. So I have to pull the whole steering assembly from the steering box back to the wheel out and repair/replace it. Friggin sucks.
    how exactly does one break a steering column?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the retainer that holds the lower bearing in the main part of the column came out and the upper shaft and the bearing fell out...Lotta slop, rather unnerving.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

You do know the roughness of the ride is attributed to the suspension and not the mount, right?

Geez people, you should know better!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
          You do know the roughness of the ride is attributed to the suspension and not the mount, right?

Geez people, you should know better!

Somewhat true.... The vibrations from the drivetrain and suspension will be transferred through solid mounts. The suspension is responsible for the harsh ride from the bumps and stuff. Now, my suspension isn't harsh and rides rather nice-but the body mounts are causing problems because they are bad and let the body and frame move seperately and make for a horrible ride.

Comment

It also makes for slightly wierd handling due to the sudden uncontrolled wieght shifts. that, and lots of squeaking and rattling, or in my case dancing fenders.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

PN's are posted in the FAQ.

Comment

yea i have dancing fenders too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Comment

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah mine look pretty much like that

Comment

Eew. 20-year-old rubber bushings are so pretty.

Dumb question: when I click on FAQ, it brings up a search thingie and nothing else, and it's looking like it just says "no matches" no matter what terms I put in. How do I use it to find the PN info?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yummy.
                          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            Eew. 20-year-old rubber bushings are so pretty.

Dumb question: when I click on FAQ, it brings up a search thingie and nothing else, and it's looking like it just says "no matches" no matter what terms I put in. How do I use it to find the PN info?
                            go to the suspension forum, one of the stickys in there is the FAQ. The FAQ in the toolbar is for help on using the forum software itself, like how to post or whatever.

Comment

What Gadget said, the Drivetrain FAQ that is stickied at the top of the suspension forum index page.

Comment

Ah, that's what you were talking about. Lots more information there. I should have remembered the suspension sticky though, I've referred to it often enough.
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X