Please check my check list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please check my check list

I will be starting my complete rear end swap this weekend. I want rear disks, limited slip, and 3.73 gears for my below listed vehicle. I don’t want to mess with the rear end that’s currently in my car now because I want to keep driving it until the very day of the transplant. I’m going to pull the rear end from a donor car from the junk yard. I will purchase new aftermarket 3.73 gears and have it all rebuilt and put together by a shop. I will do the swap in my garage when the rear end is done and I get it home.

Now, I have made a CHECK LIST to take with me to the junk yard so I can pull the correct rear end. I was going to scan it for all to see, but I’m lazy, so I will just type it out. Please look it over and see if I missed anything. Please advise if anyone has any comments or concerns. Here it is:

1. Find any 1992-1997 vehicle with a panther platform.
    2. Make sure it has rear disks.
    3. Check the door sticker and find the code for limited slip (m,z,e,or k)
    regardless of gear ratio since I’m putting the aftermarket 3.73's in.
    4. Check the metal axle tag. Make sure the is an "L" in the
    ratio (ie. 3L08 not 3.08. Again regardless of ratio.)
    5. Make sure it’s an 8.8 on the axle tag.
    6. Take all control arms and sway bar if any. This is so I can clean them up
    and put some poly bushings in them.

Anything I should keep in mind about the driveshaft??

**** I know there is more stuff I have to do to the brake lines and stuff, but
    this list is ONLY my guide to find the correct rear end. I will deal with the rest later at the house.

Thanks
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Oh, and the above information was obtained from the stickies, previous posts, and you fine people. I just want to make sure one last time.
    sigpic

Comment

the 92-97 rear swaybars are crap.....use the arms that are on your frame and get the poly bushing kit for the 92-97 car.......if you dont already have one, try to find a box pi rear bar...........make sure to save the parking brake cables too
      whatever rear you harvest make sure you know what yr it was and pi or non pi when you go to get new brake pads

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Sometimes the tags lie. You don't care about the ratio, but you can check that the rear is a TL by raising the rear off the ground, and spinning one wheel. If the other wheel doesn't move, or spins the opposite way, its an open carrier. If it moves in the same direction, it's a TL.

If you can't raise the rear, pull the cover and look at the carrier.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Traction locks are a bit uncommon in aero rears, so you might have to do some looking.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good point P72Ford and Gadget. I will take my time and check as many bone yards as I can. Now, lets say I find a Limited sliop with drums. Should I snatch it up???? I want the limited slip more then the disks.
            sigpic

Comment

if it were me on a low budget?
              i would find a k code (3.55 trac lock) out of a box wagon
              harvest the rear disc goodies
              put it all together and install it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Doesnt sound bad. The 3.55 are pretty close to 3.73 huh??
                sigpic

Comment

You mean

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                  if it were me on a low budget?
                  i would find a k code (3.55 trac lock) out of a box wagon
                  harvest the rear disc goodies
                  put it all together and install it

Ok, by harvest the disc brak goodies, you mean: the axles, backing plate, all brake components, hoses, and cables??
                  sigpic

Comment

you do not need the axles

Comment

you dont need the axles.. just take everything you can unbolt from each side
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok, dont take the sxles, BUT I thought I had to take the axles out to remove the stuff the rear disc bolts to.
                        sigpic

Comment

So if I find a K code rear end, just find any panther with rear discs and take the stuff. any partucular years???
                          sigpic

Comment

I did research for the total rear end change not the brakes only. I dont know what rear disk brakes interchange with what?
                            sigpic

Comment

yes you need to remove the axles to remove the backing plates.......the 83-89 rear axle assy is narrower than the 90-97 axle by one inch, so you cannot use the newer axles anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X