Stock Brake Preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were closer I'd do it for the 12 pack

They are amazingly simple though, discs anyway. If you get to a junkyard give it a shot.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      I'd give you 20 bucks to do my front brakes blindfolded, I've never done them before and when it comes to matters of safety (brakes etc) I am very apprehensive.
      I was nervous too, but then I did a set and found out how simple it really is. The best advice is like Pete said. Do it at the yard on a junk car; just take them apart and see how simple it is.
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Junk yards are the best car school there is! Take it apart, put it back together, if you bust it move on to the next car until ya get it right.
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
          Junk yards are the best car school there is! Take it apart, put it back together, if you bust it move on to the next car until ya get it right.
          x2

i do that all the time, who knows what i wouldve broken if not for the JY guinea pigs.
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

a word on rotors simple thunk test
            if you ping a rotor with a screwdriver and its makes a hollow ringin tone dont buy it if you ping it and it gets a solid thunk go ahead.
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Whats that supposed to indicate exactly ?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just how thin the rotors are me thinks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Whats that supposed to indicate exactly ?
                  dont remeber where but i came across an article , soemthing to the effect of chinese made vs american made rotors . it had soemthing to do with the materials that are used to make the rotors i have also found that the ones that "thunk" last longer as opposed ones that "ring"
                  I really should start bookmarking this stuff lol
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

OK, finally got around to doing this, ordered the brake rotors online and - you guessed it - it looks like the parts co sent the wrong rotors, I think. I ordered Brembo front rotors, part # W0133-1621693, but they don't have the raised centre that contains the bearing. I may be missing something obvious, but it doesn't look like the rotor on the car currently is anything like the rotor that I received - the new part has a "plain" or "flat" center. However, when I googled the part # above, more than a few parts companies list these rotors as fitting my car. What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Bloovic2 View Post
                      OK, finally got around to doing this, ordered the brake rotors online and - you guessed it - it looks like the parts co sent the wrong rotors, I think. I ordered Brembo front rotors, part # W0133-1621693, but they don't have the raised centre that contains the bearing. I may be missing something obvious, but it doesn't look like the rotor on the car currently is anything like the rotor that I received - the new part has a "plain" or "flat" center. However, when I googled the part # above, more than a few parts companies list these rotors as fitting my car. What gives?
                      They obviously have the application wrong at brembo.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

sounds like you ended up with 92+ parts. those have a hub bearing and a "hat" rotor vs the integral hub rotor that boxes use. Not much you can do but call them about it. Clearly they have their info wrong.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Brembo.com doesn't currently list anything Crown Vic on their pulldown menus .... unless, of course, I'm doing it wrong.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I called Brembo and the rep confirmed that the rotors were for a 92-94 model. Oddly, he said that they made two rotors for 88-91's, ABS and non-ABS, but I've never heard of a box with ABS brakes - maybe the 91 models?

Anyway, the parts company screwed up, so I'll see where this goes next. I'm sure there will be no problem returning the part, but they'll want me to eat the shipping by the looks of it.

The co I ordered from is Partsgeek, by the way. They have the correct rotor listed under the 89 Crown Vic section, one Brembo and two PBR - I wonder why PBR offer two different types, ABS and non-ABS again?
                            Last edited by Bloovic2; 10-27-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Screw that, tell'em you'll spread your tale of woe hither and yon across the mighty internet if they don't do you right.

Pete
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

my dad had an 88 CV with ABS brakes. it was definitely a high end option.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X