No announcement yet.

Stock Brake Preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

huh? never heard of ABS on a box. I've never seen any reference to it in any of the service manuals either. I'd like more info on this if it does exist.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by RobertB View Post
      I've warped my rotors, and I'm not an aggressive driver.
      Agression has nothing to do with warping rotors. Riding the brakes on hills, or any other time rather then using your gears to help hold your speed is what warps rotors(creates a shit ton of heat).

I have never warped a set with the exception of the Van(15passenger Dodge) I was towing a car and had to hit them on the highway at 65mph to avoid a moron that pulled out in front of me.

Knock it down out of O/D, gear down, with a little common sense you won't hurt anything.
      1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
      1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
      1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
      1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        huh? never heard of ABS on a box. I've never seen any reference to it in any of the service manuals either. I'd like more info on this if it does exist.
        I'm going off of my dad's understanding of the car at the time... he could have been mistaken.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

good info here guys...esp about those caliper bushings for me personally! mine are shot and i have a feeling they may be whats making a rattling noise(i hope)...since it goes away when i apply the brakes at all and i've run out of options as to what it could be!

What brand drums would you guys recommend? mine are badly out of round, and i noticed that rasbestos does not make a professional grade drum for police models (at least on rockauto)
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

This might not be worth it to anyone but, I'm doing the big brake swap on my 91CV probably next week. And my stock front brakes are up for grabs, spindles, smooth rotors, practically new pads, brake hoses, calipers... everything is available and FREE for the asking if you don't mind paying the shipping. Just thought I would make the offer, as it's better than leaving them in the garage collecting dust, they are too nice for that.

If anyone is interested, just send me a PM.
            although this stuff might be to heavy to ship a real long distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              good info here guys...esp about those caliper bushings for me personally! mine are shot and i have a feeling they may be whats making a rattling noise(i hope)...since it goes away when i apply the brakes at all and i've run out of options as to what it could be!
              Caliper bushings wear out? Don't think I'd heard that before. I had heard of some Saabs made under GM having a weird brake squeal that happens only when the brakes aren't engaged .....
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

someone wants to buy brake drums?
                have them cut if they can be......11" drums arent cheap

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

by bushings i mean what the end of the caliper bolt slides into that is (supposedly) rubber. mine feel super mushy and are cracked...

I can cut them they are still beefy, however i dont want them warping again due to thin walls on the drums...
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

yeah, the caliper bushings on front brakes are just rubber things. When they get old, they crack and wear out just like anything else made of rubber and living under the car. I have a set sitting here on my desk that I've been too lazy to install on my Mark VII to attempt to shut up the annoying rattles it has.

Turning the drums isn't a problem as long as they are above the discard limit after being cut. They won't warp abnormally as long as there is still enough material back there. If they get cut beyond discard, well, you discard them.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

of course...i've just been told by countless people to get new ones rather than risk warpage.. I'll take um in to school and cut them then!....worth a try at least
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

as much as those 11" drums cost, I wouldn't buy new unless it was needed. The rear brakes do so little that you usually have to do something dumb like driving with the parking brake on to really get them out of round in an unreasonable amount of time.

Comment

Working...
                        X