Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P71 tailhousing and MMC driveshaft in my box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P71 tailhousing and MMC driveshaft in my box...

Since the advice for using the P71 tailhousing and aluminum driveshaft on a whale is to go ahead and use it with the the factory short tailshaft 4R70W, I have concluded that I can do the same on an AOD in a box. The driveshaft length of the 97+ aluminum and MMC driveshafts looks at a quick glance to be the same as a 90-91 GM with an aluminum driveshaft. (I was wrong.. see below)
    I am going to go a step further. I am going to take a 89-93 2wd Truck AOD which has the long tailhousing and 7 spline speedo gear and use it in my box with the substitution of the P71 4R70W tailhousing.
    Obviously I am going to measure and mock it up before I would try running it this way.
    Last edited by Mercracer; 02-03-2011, 08:00 PM.

I took another look at the driveshafts I have and I believe that the Box driveshaft is longer than the 97 P71 driveshaft (95-97) and the MMC driveshaft with the 97 being the shortest. I am going to more accurately measure all 3 and post actual numbers tomorrow.

Comment

I can tell you that all '90 through '02 and likely later CV/GM vehicles use the same axle pinion flange regardless of the application. The only large U-joint aluminum driveshafts were '95 and newer P71 application. The 90-92 aluminum driveshafts were small U-joint (1310). The vibration dampener slip yoke on aluminum driveshafts looks like a 1992 application only. Both 5.0 and 5.8 P72 vehicles used steel driveshafts with large U-joints (1330).

Comment

interesting....let us know how it goes!
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Ed.

My '87 has a '97 P71 shaft, and combination u joints.

I am slightly confused by the above posts.

Does this seem feasible? Not that I am confused, but that I have a '97 shaft in the car? You are saying that the '97 shaft is shorter than the box shafts, which is making me wonder.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            Ed.

My '87 has a '97 P71 shaft, and combination u joints.

I am slightly confused by the above posts.

Does this seem feasible? Not that I am confused, but that I have a '97 shaft in the car? You are saying that the '97 shaft is shorter than the box shafts, which is making me wonder.
            The only box shaft I have at my house is the aluminum one. The '97 P71 shaft definitely looks shorter. The ~1" shorter is likely not a huge deal so long as the slip yoke is seated in the tranny sufficiently and the car is not turning very high speeds or launching with slicks and a pile of torque.
            Have you inspected your tranny tailhousing bushing for excessive wear lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
              The only box shaft I have at my house is the aluminum one. The '97 P71 shaft definitely looks shorter. The ~1" shorter is likely not a huge deal so long as the slip yoke is seated in the tranny sufficiently and the car is not turning very high speeds or launching with slicks and a pile of torque.
              Have you inspected your tranny tailhousing bushing for excessive wear lately?
              I'll have to look into this. The car allegedly suffers from a highway vibration (haven't had it on the highway yet).

I'll have to check mine against a steel shaft I have. If I notice a significant difference, I'll swap the shaft for a steel one (with new joints).

I plan on launching on drag radials...
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I only felt it vibrate over 120mph or so...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I would expect the driveshafts on a 4R70w car to be ~1 inch shorter since the 4R70w as used in the Panther is about that much longer than the AOD. Shouldn't be a problem though I wouldn't think. A spacer at the pinion flange to take up the difference should be easy enough to do if thats a concern. I think they actually make them for Mustangs.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that 97 aluminum shaft was the same length as the 87 shaft

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks, Scott.

I may have the shaft checked for balance, to see if that is the issue. I want to feel it before I do anything, though.

Comment

Ed, the 4R70W is 7/8" longer than the AOD. If yours works I'm gonna take that route and get the appropriate year aluminum shaft. My steel DS will physically bolt in to my 85 with the 4R trans, but it has hardly any play at all, and with suspension travel I suspect it would bottom out.
                        sigpic
                        https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                        1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                        1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                        2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                        2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

I measured a steel 97 shaft and it was 55.5" ctr to ctr U-joints.

Comment

I layed down all 3 aluminum shafts I currently have on a level surface and measured them. The 90/91 is the longest at 55 3/4", the 2000 MMC is next at the 55 1/2" everyone is quoting and the 97 is the shortest at 55 1/4" long. I still need to get a measurement on the 92 4.6 AOD aluminum driveshaft. The ground should be frozen on Tuesday when I get back to the bone yard. It was a giant flowing river/lake and mud puddle on Thursday. I will not get to my 91 P72 driveshaft for a while.
                            I have not picked up a long tailshaft AOD yet either but I have located a couple in the local yards.

Comment

How long is the stock steel driveshaft on the AOD 80-87 boxes? I am considering a MMC upgrade for my 85 w/4R70W thanks to this thread. Apologies for the slight threadjack, Merc.
                              sigpic
                              https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                              1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                              1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                              2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                              2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Working...
                              X