Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks

What year F 150 shock do I need for the CC 819 springs? I broke one of the my rear shocks. Ya I know look it up in the FAQ. I did and it really doesn't say anything about it.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

unless there's a height difference from a stock car... I would think stock style shocks would be fine. Just get the model that has the stiffness to your liking. And after looking up those springs... I definitely think regular shocks would work fine. They look to be the same diameter as stock springs, so stock style shocks shouldn't be an issue. Why would you want F-150 shocks anyhow?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
      What year F 150 shock do I need for the CC 819 springs? I broke one of the my rear shocks. Ya I know look it up in the FAQ. I did and it really doesn't say anything about it.
      99 F150, 2wd version
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        unless there's a height difference from a stock car... I would think stock style shocks would be fine. Just get the model that has the stiffness to your liking. And after looking up those springs... I definitely think regular shocks would work fine. They look to be the same diameter as stock springs, so stock style shocks shouldn't be an issue. Why would you want F-150 shocks anyhow?

weeell.... My car is stock height and the stock shocks are way to short. Though lifting the inside rear wheels on slight turns and being able to slide the back end out all the time was fun.

I don't know if the search works, but I had a good thread on this. The best bet is to actually measure the shocks with the springs installed, or at least with the current setup to see if the longer shocks are actually needed. Unbolt the lower shock mount and see how much droop there is. In theory the shock should be in the middle of the stroke at normal ride height.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

99 f150 2wd

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks, the stock shocks are too short with the CC819 springs.
            Last edited by Glen; 04-03-2011, 12:14 AM.
            89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

interesting. so I guess the springs do raise the ride height. makes me wonder what Good Samaritan is running on Herkamer for shocks all around.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The truck shocks are a good modification. I had them on my '90. The shocks were much beefier than car units anyway.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                  Thanks, the stock shocks are too short with the CC819 springs.
                  Interesting, I've got KYB GR2 shocks for a 97 interceptor with those CC819 springs and haven't had any issues with them topping (bottoming?) out.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I went to mustang shocks as they are longer as well. I love my koni's but they are pricey.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Huh. I have the stock length KYB GR-2s with CC819s and I don't THINK I've had any problems, but I could be a moron.
                      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Same here, stock motorcraft shocks with cc819's. No ill effects noted, no tire lifting (but I'm running whale cop springs up front (also with stock shocks), so its holding the car more level through turns so not enough lean to lift a rear wheel). And no, I'm not gentle with it.

Alex.
                        Last edited by GM_Guy; 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

It pulled the rod all the out of the right shock. The truck shock it longer, but you have to change the lower shock mounting bolt or remove the sleeve in the shock. Which I found out after we had the old shocks off.

Comment

Working...
                          X