No announcement yet.

lug nut key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to find the hubcaps a pita to remove, even hefty screwdrivers weren't quite right, and nor was the "official" hub cap tool (with a rubber mallet in the middle) very effective either.
    But turns out a "lady foot" prybar is perfect for the task: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/1000/221830387.jpg (just the largest, clearest image I could find).

My key was rounding out, so before it got too bad, I threw it all out. And bought new locking keys But I'm not sure, in retrospect, that I trust generic pepboys locking lug nuts to be of good steel, and like Kestas, I know myself well enough to know i'll lose it one of these days, so I'm going to get rid of the 4 locking nuts next time I service my car.

Comment

looking at the way the key for mine is made I dont see how it could round out on the locking lug but then I have turbines not the hubcaps with the locking bolt in the middle.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

"round out" was a generalization. The sort of clover leaf ridge of the key was tapering, and like a philips screwdriver, just wanted to twist out rather than transfer any torque in the appropriate plane.

Comment

Mine came with mcgard locking lugs. the car still has the key tied on to the lug wrench but the locks themselves were gone before I bought the car. I have great faith in the mcgard locks, and lug nuts. I have seen the key break. If you do not fit it correctly into the lug and hit it with an impact wrench the key will strip. Otherwise they work realy well and are strong steel, made in USA. if you by a set of locks, you register the lock serial number with Mcgard. This allows you to get a replacement key. That works ok if you can wait for a new key.... What is recommended is to order a second key while registering the serial number.

Jay
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'm really not worried about theft, who would want to steal an old scuffed up set of heavy 15" wheels? They won't get much in scrap and you could get tons more swiping a set of 20"+ chrome wheels and selling them.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
            X