Gear ratio change cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear ratio change cost

On 1980 ltd I bought the axle code is G (not good) and because i will be swapping aod instead of fmx i was wondering if getting a comlete rear axle is cheaper than what shop will charge me? I was thinking of putting a 90 squire axle in it. Will it bolt in? Will i need bigger brake booster?
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Why would you need to change your brake booster? Only thing to consider - that I know of - is that if your car came with 10" brakes, you may want to change your front-to-rear brake bias when swapping to a Squire axle with 11" brakes. Or, since the stock valving really sends too little pressure to the rear anyway, just leave it alone.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'd love to find a limo axle someone took the carrier out of, that way I get the 11" brakes and I can buy a new Trac Loc unit and 3.73 gears, which would help out tremendously. The lopo really isn't that bad, with my exhaust upgrade it does pretty well and it has tons of low end which is what I like, but I can feel that the gears are what's holding it back so much, otherwise it would have plenty of power for me since I just cruise and would like it to pull easier and be able to spin my crappy tires with ease.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I found a good low mileage 3.55 trac loc the other day only problem is I dont think my dad is gonna let me steal the rear axle out of his van and swap me for mine. They probably arent even the same width but at least I know where there is one if anything ever happens to that van.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I had $600 in a complete rebuild of the rear in mine '91. All new bearings, trak loc rebuild, ford motorsports gears, and a carrier from the junkyard cause mine was splitting in half lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Working...
          X