Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left rear drum brake clanking

Hi,

Just had some work done the left rear drum brakes, after an axel seal leak.
    When I release the brake pedal, I hear a metallic clank sound - as if the break pads are clapping the inner part of the brake drum.
    The problem is repeatable and the same sounding. If in park, and pumping breaks, no clank. A little forward motion and left side clank recurs.

I'm sure it's not the u-bolt ka-chink.

I might even want to take off the wheel and drum to see the travel distance of the diaphragm/pads. Too much travel?
    Advice?

I don't get the feeling the brakes are riding either.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Pull the drum and see if something isn't clanging around in there.

Comment

Probably have a burr kicked up on the backing plate and the shoe is hanging on it. They do that where the shoe rests against the steel. Usual fix is to just hammer and grind the burr down and put a little bit of grease over the rub spot so it doesn't stick.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Howdy, had this problem myself. In my case, I had not pre-adjusted the star wheel (I installed it with the adjusters screwed all the way in,) and there was, as a result, a small gap between the shoe and where the adjuster arm fits in the forked part of the shoe. I found that it was very noticeable after I reversed: the next application of the brakes caused a sharp rap or clunk out of the back, like something was reseating. Let me know what you figure out, but try adding a little tightness to the adjusters and see if that cures it, but don't go too tight! I have had the pleasure of replacing brand-new, warped drums after fifteen minutes of test driving with the rear brakes adjusted too tight. The drums should still be removeable after adjustment, if you've done it right.
        If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...

Comment

What he said. Go for the easy stuff first. Do you know how to tighten and loosen the adjusters?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

You say 'had it done'? Then I'd say take it back

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post

Pete
              word. If you have a brake job done and something goes wrong within, at least, a couple of weeks, you can take it back and if they're at all reputable they'll fix it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Pete
                You are the smartest guy in the room! It was like one of those riddles that starts with the answer: you are the bus driver...

Comment

I'z a fart smeller

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I'z a fart smeller

Pete
                    Yeah, my Dad used to say that about me; he also said I used to be nervous and jerky but that I'm not nervous anymore... Badumpum.

Comment

Although I DO think I smell a threadjack...

Comment

My car had a left rear brake clank at very low speeds when I first got it. The balancing weight had fallen off the drum and was bouncing around between the drum and wheel. Over 5mph, centrifugal force would keep the weight in place and stop the clank. Also, sometimes there was a lot of vibration on the highway and sometimes not, depending on where the weight landed. It was literally a game of roulette.
                        1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
                        Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

Working...
                        X