No announcement yet.

bad steering box - budget options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know A junkyard steering box is hit or miss.

Sorry to unbury an old thread, but I am going through the same problem

I noticed that there is a little slop in the steering and I think I narrowed it down to the box

If I am going to adjust it, here is what I gathered from you guys:

1) Jack up the front end so that the front wheels clear the ground (do you really have to)?
    2) turn the steering wheel one full turn to right or left (off center, never adjust while wheels are straight)
    3) Crack open nut
    4) Slowly and minutely turn adj screw to right <1/4 turn

Am I right guys??
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

1) Yes it will help you feel for binding as you are adjusting.
      2) Yes
      3)Yes
      4) Trying to remember how i did mine but i believe I tightened it lightly and backed it off a 1/4 turn. then adjusted it further by feel. I had a lot of play and now my steering is fairly tight, for a box (but not binding). However the other's methods sound quite good!
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yeah, the guy I spoke to said to tighten it little by little, but I think the main idea is not to overtighten it

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I pretty much did the same thing as Brown_Muscle on the 93 F150 I had (dang near if not the same steering box) cept I snugged it and backed off half a turn... then went lock to lock to check for binding and snugged down 1/8th turn at a time until it felt right and didn't wiggle so much. that one was so worn out though, that even after that, it still wandered a bit, but not near as much as it did before that. It was also about 4 FULL turns loose too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

guess what ill be doing tonight, lol

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
            X