Ride quality with speedway springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride quality with speedway springs

Its time to freshen up the suspension on the '91 and i want to lower it, however, i cant seem to find any info on the ride quality of using the springs from speedway. The roads where i live arent too bad for the most part and improved handling is a very desireable side effect of stiffer, lower springs. I like the looks of the 925's and 225's, but would getting a higher rate lower it more? If so, by how much? Im running stock tires and rims (215/70/15).
    1992 SHO(what's left of it)
    1986 F-150(rust and option free)
    1950 Studebaker pickup(moves-kinda, stops-no)
    1987 T-bird(dead 3.wait, SHO swap in store)
    1991 CV $500 cream puffF

A higher rate with the same "free height" would result in a slightly higher ride height. Keep in mind, a higher number means a stiffer spring. This means a rougher ride than the same free height spring of a lower number, and a higher ride height. I'm pretty sure Speedway will make you just about any spring you can imagine, hence your lack of feedback on "speedway springs." It's sort of like asking for feedback on "ford cars." They come in any height and rate imaginable.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The Speedway springs don't ride too bad. I thought it would be a lot worse when I first installed them. I think the weight of our cars and fresh shocks reduce any deterioration of ride quality. If you want to lower your car more than what the Speedway (Tru-Coils) springs will do, get the Afco 5.5" x 9.5" front springs and the Tru-Coils 7" x 14" (with the pig tails). That will lower your car quite a bit if you're looking for that. I woulda done that myself, but my driveway is very unforgiving.

Packman

Comment

I like my speedways. I have the combo you mentioned. Ride is great and I like the drop that it gave the car.

Here is my car with the springs installed to give you an idea....though these are with 255/50/17's

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ive got the 1350's up front of my 97, and i want to go stiffer
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            I like my speedways. I have the combo you mentioned. Ride is great and I like the drop that it gave the car.

Here is my car with the springs installed to give you an idea....though these are with 255/50/17's

Thanx for the replies! 87gtVic, Yours is the car i was looking at when i was thinking about the speedways instead of hacking on PI coils. I love the rake and i think the Bullit wheels(or GTs) look pretty sic. I wish i could score some. Are the 255/50/17s roughly the same height as 215/70/15s and what shock are u running? I was looking at Gabriel Ultras for an '01 PI.
            1992 SHO(what's left of it)
            1986 F-150(rust and option free)
            1950 Studebaker pickup(moves-kinda, stops-no)
            1987 T-bird(dead 3.wait, SHO swap in store)
            1991 CV $500 cream puffF

Comment

I've got speedways springs in 2 of my cars.

925 and 250 in my 87
              925 and 200 in my 89

I had 225's in the back of the 89 but it had way too much rake (which I hate)

They honestly don't ride that bad, it really depends on how the rest of your suspension is set up. My 89 is significantly stiffer than my 87, but also is significantly more modded.

Pictures of lowness:

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Shooff82 View Post
                Thanx for the replies! 87gtVic, Yours is the car i was looking at when i was thinking about the speedways instead of hacking on PI coils. I love the rake and i think the Bullit wheels(or GTs) look pretty sic. I wish i could score some. Are the 255/50/17s roughly the same height as 215/70/15s and what shock are u running? I was looking at Gabriel Ultras for an '01 PI.
                No Idea about height but I can tell you abotu shocks. I have KYB GR2's....soon to be upgraded to KYB gas-a-justs
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yes, the 255/50/17 is the same diameter. It's a 27" tall tire. (there are tire size calculators posted in the forum)
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Can any of you guys measure your frame height to the ground with the lowering springs? Also how badly out of adjustment was your camber after installing the springs?
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

No idea about camber Phil. I don't notice any weird wear patterns so I say nothing changed really.

And I have no measurements but can offer you this:

~David~

Comment

Camber isn't what you need to worry about. It's toe. Get an alignment after doing the springs. I would suggest bushings too if they haven't been done.

Comment

The reason I ask about the ride height is police vehicles are slightly higher than the civilians. So a 1" drop for civi cars will be more for my police vehicle. Has anyone tried the 1000 and 200s, would that give it a higher stance?
                          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

My car with 1000 lb sits about 3/4"lower than stock. There was a pic somewhere of blaze86 box and me side by side. He had 925s and I have 1000's mine sits a bit higher.

Comment

Don't mean to be thread jacking, but how much lower will the car sit with the afco 9.5's in front and tru-coils in the back? will it help plant the rear end still and give the car a firmer grip with those springs? Which shocks work well with them? The gas-a-justs?

Blane
                              85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                              09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                              79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                              64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Working...
                              X