Shifter Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Loose

I have a problem. The shifter on the steering wheel will not go into gear. All it does is moves up and down freely. Here is a video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2NToL2ytw. I'm thinking it is the shift tube that connects to the shifter. What do you guys think?

sorry cant help no can down load vidoes on dial up.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

it looks like you have the 90+ dash... the end of the shifter tube should have a bracket bolted to it with two T15 (IIRC - might be T20) screws (star drive/torx). This bracket connects to the shift cable. make sure that's attached.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

either the bolts came loose or the shifter tube broke, common problem.
        what yr is the car?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          either the bolts came loose or the shifter tube broke, common problem.
          what yr is the car?

Comment

Yea shifter tube on those break easy
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

yea, check that shifter bolt. When I had my 1991 colony park, it fell right out lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

How do I get the headlight control thing of the dash. I trying to take the dash apart and that is I the way.

Comment

to get access to the shifter shaft and that bolt on the end, go up from the bottom. You may need to release the shift indicator cable, but that's accessible with the knee panel removed. The fake wood trim just pulls off.

but to answer your question, there's a little notch at the base of the knob. press a small screwdriver up on the tab inside that notch and pull. The knob should come off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1270271

If you look at that picture there is a little white/tan tube thing thats broken. Would that be the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      it looks like you have the 90+ dash... the end of the shifter tube should have a bracket bolted to it with two T15 (IIRC - might be T20) screws (star drive/torx). This bracket connects to the shift cable. make sure that's attached.
                      slymer is right, thats probably the problem, make sure those bolts are always tight.
                      You get to them under the dash, on your back, looking up. You'll probably may need a light to see them. Look for them as you move the shifter with your other hand and you'll see them wobbling around.

Comment

What about the shifter going through the gears correctly but is loose going towards and away from you?? What causes that?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by zzeekk View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]34329[/ATTACH]

If you look at that picture there is a little white/tan tube thing thats broken. Would that be the prpoblem?
                          Did anyone look at that picture to see if that is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                            What about the shifter going through the gears correctly but is loose going towards and away from you?? What causes that?
                            I think that might be due to a worn-out or broken return spring. Here's a thread on another website (Lincolnsonline) that will tell you how to replace it. It should be the same steps for your Mercury.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                            2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                            2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by zzeekk View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]34329[/ATTACH]

If you look at that picture there is a little white/tan tube thing thats broken. Would that be the problem?
                              Anyone

Comment

Working...
                              X