DIY Alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Alignment?

I apolagize if this has been covered before, but is there a way i could do a front end alignment myself? I understand that if it can be done, it would be far from perfect, but anything would be better than how it is now. If its possible, could someone tell me how to do it?

My car used to drive straight as an arrow, then one day I replaced the outer tie rod ends, and front shocks. I measured the amount of threads showing on the tie rod end, then did the same with the new ones. Apparently I did something wrong though, because ever since then my alignment has been off. its weird though, the tires dont point inward or outward, they just are closer at the the top than the bottom. I dont exactly know if the camber or caster?

Maybe someone could help?
    -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
    -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
    -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

My car is a 91 GM by the way

Comment

if they lean inward at the top, thats camber. That would not be adjusted by the tie rod ends though. A quickie toe adjustment would be to simply measure the distance from tire to tire on the front and on the back. It helps if you take a piece of chalk and hold it against the tire while spinning it to get a reference point. 0 toe would be the same measurement on each side. I think these cars are supposed to be 1/16" toe in, so the front side would be 1/16" less than the back side. the camber you could use a level if you have the car parked on a known level flat surface. Basically the idea there would be to determine how many degrees off-level the tire is. I think the stock spec is 2-3 degrees but don't hold me to that.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Next time you to tie rods, measure from grease nipple to grease nipple. You can't count on the threads, or length of the rods themselves being the same from one to the next.

Alex.

Comment

Ok, then camber is my problem. How could this happen just by replacing the tie rod ends? And how do I fix it?

Comment

not saying it cant be done pretty well by a diy'er that knows a thing or two, but to me the price of a professional alignment is well worth the price of ruining 2 tires, plus you save more gas in the long run. Just my $0.02
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

I agree, but my tires are already almost gone on the inside. I went to get it aligned after this first started and most places wouldn't do it because I had new parts mixed with old parts, and I'd have to replace the rest of the worn out front end before they would touch it.

Comment

jerks... what about take my money and get it close do they not understand.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Exactly! lol

Comment

if the parts are actually bad, they can't align it. It depends what is worn and how badly though.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only parts that I would say are "bad" from what I could see while I was under there were, the inner tie rod ends, upper ball joint boots were ripped, didn't check the lowers but I'd say they aren't much better

Comment

If the only thing you did was tie rods, your toe is out. Semi-simple fix, easier if you have a pair of wheels with no tires mounted on them (or make some plywood circles to bolt to the rotors the same diameter as your wheels (27 inches will do). Make sure your steering box is dead center (you do not want to adjust the tierods by cheating and setting one side "correct", then your steering wheel goes off center). Measure up from the floor whatever is conveient and measure from plywood end to end. front and back of the tire (measuring the same distance up from the floor. Adjust as required.

Don't worry about the wheels being canted in at the top. Seems to be normal. (and it helps you go around corners faster without scrubbing the hell out of your outer thread). Mine have a very noticable inward tilt with no tire wear issues becuase of it.

Alex.

Comment

they said my ball joints were bad but still got it as close as they could.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You say dont worry about the wheels being in at the top, but when the inner edge of my front tires wear so much its showing the steel belt, within 2 months, I tend to worry. lol

Comment

I would find the best shop possible and have it done right. Why screw with it?? I know a lot of shops suck but somebody in the area has to be ok. Where are you located??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X