No announcement yet.

*Update on key cylinder - Not good*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes. that top bracket is just two screws... it's no big deal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You might see some similar componets in my steering columb stupid thread.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I found my problem! Check this out alchemist, if you haven't already found your problem.

2 cents worth of plastic was the problem!
        Undo the four 1/2 inch/13mm nuts that hold the steering column up and when you lower the steering column you might see this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3089.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1270484

Unscrew the torx bolts with t30 torx driver, pop the shift cable off toward the fire wall and remove the shift tube and you might see something like this:

Name:	100_3092.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1270485Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3093.jpg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1270486

Notice how the plastic bushing is blocking that slot in the shift tube, that is where the lever below engages to allow the key to return to the lock position. Top of the column with the shift tube removed:

Name:	100_3095.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1270487

In my case my shift problem has nothing to do with the key problem. But now I understand why, just like you saw on yours, when you turn the key to the lock position the shifter would move.
        Hope this helps, and thanks for giving me a reason to finally dig into this.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

so what did you have to do, rotate the bushing so the notch clears the lock pin?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Shift tube bushings, OEM part# F3TZ7L278A, Dorman part# 905-103.
            So far I have found quite a few results for 50 pack of these bushings for $30 or more.
            Or a pack of 2 for $5:

I'm not sure but that link might be for a Ford dealer in Starkville, MS, the contact and about links are blank.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              so what did you have to do, rotate the bushing so the notch clears the lock pin?
              In the pics of just the shift tube the bushing should be all the way to the right, against the ridge in the tube. This would put it closer to the firewall and back under the bracket when assembled. I should have thought to take a pic of where it should be.

Since the bottom lip wore off and it slid up the shift tube I flipped it so what was left of the other lip would keep if from sliding back up until I can get replacements.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

It's hard to tell in the picture but the bushing was actually cracked and bent into the slot, so when I took the shift tube off it stayed right there.
                The last couple days I had no problems with the key since the bushing finally cracked, allowing that lock lever to engage enough to allow the key to lock.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Update- getting the bushings back to their originally designated locations was the key. Took out most of the slop and helped align the cylinder lock mechanism! Thanks Vic for your pics too. That may also have been part of my problem though not verified.
                  95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                  96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
                  77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
                  98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
                  90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Just got word from my son that the shift tube is messing up once again. I would suspect that the bushing has come out of its spot and is blocking the steering wheel lock mechanism (to then allow the key cylinder to turn to lock position). I'm gonna buy some new bushings this evening. My Ford dealer here has 'em for $4.50 a piece - he says they replace these things ALL the TIME. bad design by Ford, evidently.
                    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                    90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Yeah mine is still not 100% the past few days it has been acting up again. The first few days (not sure how long) it worked perfect, so that bushing may have slipped out again. Every time it acts up I just shift out of park and back to park and the key comes out.

I need to get around to getting new bushings to see if that is the only problem I have or if there is more to it.

Glad the pictures helped, once I got in there it really cleared up some of the unknowns that I was unsure about, and gave me a better idea how it worked.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Based on your previous post, I would say that is exactly what has happened. Once it gets a little warmer, I'll dig into mine. When that top bushing slips, it reaks hell and havoc on the mechanism. Bastard design!!
                        90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Replaced my bushings today, the old bushing had slid back out of place again, I left the key stuck in so that I could see the bushing moving when I turned the key and it wouldn't turn to the lock position. I have a video of it but it's a bit shaky, youtube did a decent job fixing the shaky video for me though and even automatically rotated it too.
                          You can take the old ones off without removing the shift tube from the steering column, but I recommend taking it off since I had to fish out a couple broken pieces of bushing. The shifter sure feels more firm with the new bushings now and the key comes out like it should.

Name:	100_3126.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1270575
                          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

oh wow... those bushings are completely jacked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X