Front end rattlin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end rattlin'

I have been noticing the more I ride with the windows open and i hot road imperfections, I would here rattlin in the front end. It sound like a loose kinda rattlin. The only thing I could guess what it could be is ball joints, tie rod end, or bushings (for the front end stabilizer). Since my knowledge of suspensions is limited, I look to the professors of panthers here for help!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Could be a shock or even sheet metal rattling around. You will need to check it by hand. Well actually with your hands, jack stands and a pry bar.

A friend is helpful, one to pry or shake and the other to look close and see which parts move.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I always check the sway bar links/bushings first. Particularly the links go bad regularly. Could be anything though.

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I would first check the lower shock mounts. There are only a few threads holding the shock to the lower control arm. They're prone to being stripped out. Then I would do as Piece-it-pete said and check the front swaybar bushings. After that, start looking at the tie rod and balljoint boots. Could be a chance that they are split (or missing altogether in my case) and haven't been greased in a while. That will cause rattling as well. When I rebuilt the front end on my CV, all of the rattling went away.

Packman

Comment

Missing anti-rattle clips from the brake pads? I had a similar problem on the Mark VII I used to have. I forgot to put them in when I put new pads on.

'93 T-bird
          '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
          '88 Mark VII
          '86 CV

Comment

Another rattle source, is the dust shields for the disc brakes if you have the metal ones. Just break it off if its loose, ain't gonna make a bit difference.

Alex.

Comment

Does the noise go away when you apply the brakes? A very common problem is the brake pad/caliper pins. They wear out where they go through the outer pad, causing the pad to move around hitting the pins, and making the rattling sound. At this point, the pad hole is usually worn out too. I would start with pads, and pins, and go from there.

MIKE

Comment

I had a front end rattle that wound up being the body mount bushings were so shot underneath the passengers side front foot well. I would hit a bump and the car would be bouncing off the frame because of the deteriorated rubber.

Hopefully that is not your problem as all of the other suggestions are way easier to do.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd definitely jack the car up and take the weight off of the front end, then start wiggling stuff and prying up on things. My guess would also be broken bolts in the lower shock mount. It's a common problem, someone in the past had replaced the bolts on the drivers side shock on my Lincoln at some point, for exactly that reason.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

The bottom shock mount bolts are tight, I guess I will go after the sway bar bushings (and links, im guessing the links are the bolts)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

those uber long bolts with rubber bushings on either end and nuts holding them on... that's the links.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ok, cool, i know exactly what you mean, Yeah I will inspect the rubber on those links

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X