Rebuilding power steering pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding power steering pump?

My '90 CV is leaking PS fluid pretty steadily. Tried using some Lucasoil with stop-leak, but did nothing. I'm thinking it's time for a rebuild. The kit's $10 at my local Advance Auto. Is it worth it to try and rebuild? And how difficult can I expect it to be? Thanks!
    1971 Mustang Coupe - Weekend Warrior
    1990 Crown Vic - Driver/Project

It might work. I did rebuild mine 4 years ago and it still working fine.
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

the hardest part is getting it out of the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A replacement pump is, or used to be, $30, so if your time investment is worth it to save $20 and learn something extra in the process, have at it!

(and yes, you need to rent the pulley-puller-and-installer kit to get to the mounting bolts)
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

is it the pump seals or is it the lines? The return line is very commonly petrified to the point where it won't seal and it just vomits fluid. Even if its not, I'd strongly suggest replacing both lines when you do the pump rebuild. They're usually hard as a rock by now, and probably won't re-seal. Do not try to pull the return line off, you'll break the reservoir. Cut it off and replace the hose. Its just bulk trans cooler line with a clamp at each end.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X