3.27 posi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.27 posi

Hi new to the form have read some great posts on here. My car is an 1991 ford ltd crown victoria 5.8 highway patrol car.Just did a duraspark ii swap, and a motorcraft 2150 swap in progress, just got a new choke pull off in the mail to finish it up. The car has a 2.73 open, but I have 2 full rear ends a 3.27 posi, from an 89 town car, and a 3.73 open from a 82 mark 6. I am more toward the 3.27 posi, but I know it is a shorter rear end then what I have now. Should I go with the 89 3.27 posi and put on some 11 inch brakes and roll, or hold off for a 90 up rear end? I want a 3.27 posi, I have had a 3.55 posi before and it is too much. Any other good ideas to set this car up? (I all ready have the big rear sway bar on the car)

In the future I am going to start collecting parts for a big brake swap up front because the front end is shot out, but I am going to keep 11 inch drums in the rear.
    I have 90 town car headers waiting to go too. Thanks for the help in advance.

Welcome to the forum. You have indeed been doing some research.

Why not pull the guts out the townie rear and put them into your own? You retain the wider trac width and then you have the gears you want.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I was just thinking the quickest and cheapest way, I was wondering if the length would make that much of a difference.

Comment

It's not a huge difference, but the 90+ rear ends are more desirable.

But if you have a complete 89 rear end all ready to go, I'd swap the 11" drums on it, rebuild the trac-lok and toss it in. Worst comes to worst just run some 1" hub centric spacers.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by dd345 View Post
          I was just thinking the quickest and cheapest way, I was wondering if the length would make that much of a difference.
          I see. Either way you will have to crack open both rear ends to remove the axles if you want to keep the 11 drums.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think what I will do is if the 89 town car does not have the 11inch backing plates all ready, I will just swap the guts into my rear end. I just don't remember, I have a full box off of an old box truck that is filled with panther parts that I have stored over the years, and 2 full 89 town car parts cars right now.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but, when I was at the junk yard there was an 87 ltd crown vic that had corner windows in the front two doors from the factory. I wounder if I could swap that over to my 91, but would I need the whole doors, or just the glass and some hardware.

Comment

You would just need the vent windows, the weatherstripping (or you can carefully notch yours to fit the new profile), the dew wipe (or cut your existing one to fit with the vent window), and the glass
              ~David~

Comment

Thanks for the help I will try to post some pictures of some of the cars I have.

Comment

Hey no problem. One more thing regarding the vent windows....three screws hold them onto the door via the window frame, one screw holds them onto the door behind the door panel.

The hardest thing you will have to do is accurately drill the three holes in the window frame for those three screws.
                  ~David~

Comment

I need to hit the junk yard then. Here are some pictures of some panthers I posted. Will try to post more when I can.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...over-the-years

Comment

Rear discs from a 92+ is what you really want
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wounder how the parking cable would work? And I guess the proportioning valve from the car also. Worst case carry around wood chocks, and no parking brake.

Comment

Originally posted by dd345 View Post
                          I wounder how the parking cable would work? And I guess the proportioning valve from the car also. Worst case carry around wood chocks, and no parking brake.
                          Rear disc swaps have been done numerous times and are well documented. You essentially just mate the cables together with some clamps.

They will work fine with the stock master cylinder, although can swap in a later model one if you want.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Rear discs from a 92+ is what you really want
                            What he said.
                            This is what I did with my 91CV, and no problem at all with the e-brake.

Comment

From what I've researched, those cable assemblies are available new yet. NAPA has some that I'll probably end up getting, as the junkyard wasted the cables on the '97 rear end I bought.

I think the only thing they can't get is the splitter thing that mates the left and right cables.
                              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Working...
                              X