No announcement yet.

3.27 posi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never done a disc brake swap before, done a whole bunch of 11in brake swaps. I see I will be looking for a whole 97-92 rear end whole then. What will I do with all the 11 inch brake sets I have pulled off station wagons over the years.

Comment

If you already have the 11" parts, go for it then. In all fairness, a properly working 11" drum rig is probably not any worse in terms of braking performance than rear discs, and the parking brake is a damn sight better. I just wouldn't go harvesting 11" parts if I didn't have them. I removed mine because the parts were all shot, and I didn't feel like messing with it. I had larger front brakes at that point anyway, and the drums didn't work so well with them.

Another option is to take the 3.27 R&P and carrier and stab them in your 1991 housing. Any used rear needs a rebuild at this point anyway, so you may as well just rebuild the one you have already and swap the gears at the same time.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think what I will do is go with the 3.27 posi with 11in brakes from the 89 rear for now. And down the road find a full rear end from a 97-92 with discs brakes. I am one of those people when a box panther hits the junk yard and has any thing good I grab it if I need it or not. If the car has a sway bar, oil cooler, 11in brakes, things of that nature, I grab them, because these older panthers are not around that much any more and who noes when I mite need them for a new car.

Comment

Sorry to threadjack, but quick question, related subject. Will the 11" drum brakes swap onto a 92-97 rear? are the mounting holes for the backing plate still there in the same spots?
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

well if we can take the 92-11 brakes and mount them to the pre 02rears then the reverse is almost for sure.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah, same flanges. There is a chance that the ABS ring is in the way of something with the drum backing plate, but I don't know that for sure. The backing plates will bolt up though. If the tone ring is in the way, it wouldn't be all that much to remove it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

-Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

dd345 ... you say you have a collection of sway bars and 11" drum setups for box panthers? what all do you have and what year/make/models are they off of ?

Comment

dd345 ... you say you have a collection of sway bars and 11" drum setups for box panthers? what all do you have and what year/make/models are they off of ? Maybe you should post them for sale !

Comment

Not looking to sell parts like that, with not being able to find them in the junk yard any more. I feel shipping something like that would be a PITA Too. Do you have anything to trade? Or close to the atlanta area? Could not tell you what cars they are off of, but know what they fit. Whats your ride? I know the later boxes did not have the holes drilled from the factory for rear sway bars like my 89 town car's.

Comment

You can just drill the holes in the lower control arms and roll the lips a bit if needed. IIRC one hole is there already so alignment is no problem.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

89 Grand Marquis ... what rear control arms with swaybar mounting holes will fit ?

Comment

police rear control arms have the mounting holes for box bodies. Aeros and whales mount to the frame. The addco rear bar for boxes will mount to the police arms easier, but mount to the civi arms as well, but there's drilling involved IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

We did measure the thickness and it appears that at least the later arms were the same thickness as the police arms. Just need one more hole in each arm. Bolt up the sway bar with one bolt and drill the extra hole.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X