Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way Too Much Steering Play by Center Link

Hey Guys,

If you've glanced through my reader's ride post, you would see I've basically replaced everything in my front end steering and suspension. Now that the slop is out of the suspension I'm noticing the play in my steering even more. It's basically to the point I don't think I'll drive the car more than around town until I can figure this out.

On my lunch break today I put the front of car up on jacks and shook the tires side to side. (No play in any other direction). There was a good amount of side to side play. Looking under the car it looks like the play is coming from where the driver's side inner tie rod connects to the center link as well as where the pitman arm connects to the center link. It's almost as if the hole in the center link is too large for the studs.

The only thing I didn't replace in the steering so far has been the gear box (I have a new one floating around somewhere) and the center link itself. I didn't replace the center link because I was under the impression that it wasn't a wear item... Idler arm side is solid no play in the arm or the passenger's side tie rods.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

did you replace the idler and pitman arm with quality replacements?

your right the center link is a non wear item

if all else is good, i would suspect a worn steering gear and or linkage

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I just double checked my email for what I installed. Looks like I went middle of the line on the pitman arm. Idler arm was a little more price and is a Moog.

MEVOTECH MK8290 Pitman Arm $ 18.69
      MOOG K8283 Idler Arm $ 50.79

The thing is, the pitman arm doesn't really seem to move at all. It's like the center link moves around the stud that sticks out of the pitman arm.

I wish I took a video of it. haha. I feel like it's sort of hard to explain easily.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

if the prior parts were severely worn and flopping around already, the might have worn out the holes in the centerlink.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

can you tighten the nut any?

mevotech, hmm how old, have had spotty results with that brand, i think it depends on the quality of pig iron from day to day in mevotech city china. maybe there were too many mistakes and contours in the pig iron mix and it got bad juju.
          you did grease it after it was installed and at every oil change i assume?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            if the prior parts were severely worn and flopping around already, the might have worn out the holes in the centerlink.
            That's what I'm thinking. I guess I'll have to remove the castle nuts and see how much space is around the stud and the eye.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            can you tighten the nut any?

mevotech, hmm how old, have had spotty results with that brand, i think it depends on the quality of pig iron from day to day in mevotech city china. maybe there were too many mistakes and contours in the pig iron mix and it got bad juju.
            you did grease it after it was installed and at every oil change i assume?
            lol Oct 2013. Yeah, since ordering that I've read about hit and miss quality from them. Probably explains the price. I just the other day put on Mevotech stabilizer links and they seemed to be okay.

Yep, greased the holy hell out of them.

Comment

The only way for the holes to egg out is if the castle nuts back off, it should be super obvious too. The wear is in the ball socket, so it can create the illusion of play in whatever it is attached to. They are supposed to move and twist a little bit when you push/pull the wheels, all parallel link steering joints do that. Ball socket slop is very different.
              You can also grab each point right at the ball socket and push/pull in the direction of the stud, this sometimes shows you more slop than the other way if its bad-bad. I did this once to a 90's Townie that I could feel had play in the wheels, and when I grabbed the center link where it attaches to the pitman arm, I swear I could have popped it right out if I tried.

If you can post the video it would help
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If I was hurting for cash I'd take a hard look at TRW 18833 on Rock. A gamble but I bet better than Mevotech or similar, who knows? There's also a NOS Motorcraft on ebay for around $45.

Pete
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                  The only way for the holes to egg out is if the castle nuts back off, it should be super obvious too. The wear is in the ball socket, so it can create the illusion of play in whatever it is attached to. They are supposed to move and twist a little bit when you push/pull the wheels, all parallel link steering joints do that. Ball socket slop is very different.
                  You can also grab each point right at the ball socket and push/pull in the direction of the stud, this sometimes shows you more slop than the other way if its bad-bad. I did this once to a 90's Townie that I could feel had play in the wheels, and when I grabbed the center link where it attaches to the pitman arm, I swear I could have popped it right out if I tried.

If you can post the video it would help
                  It doesn't look like castle nuts backed off, the cotter pins are still intact.

So you're saying that the play is most likely in the tie rod and pitman arm sockets? I guess I may have gotten duds right out of the box and they've failed already. Bummer. I'll give the thing a good tug on the center link itself and see what type of play I'm looking at that way. I'll also try to get a video of it. The play by the wheels feels like a good 15+ degrees left or right (if you were looking at the car head on). No bueno.

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                  If I was hurting for cash I'd take a hard look at TRW 18833 on Rock. A gamble but I bet better than Mevotech or similar, who knows? There's also a NOS Motorcraft on ebay for around $45.

Pete
                  Awesome. Thanks. I'll check to make sure the pitman arm is busted first... if so I think I'll just suck it up and go Motorcraft this time. Not having control where you're going on the highway has scared the cheapo out of me.

Comment

the previous castle nuts, not the current setup. You'd have to watch the center link and the studs through it. If any of those move counter to the center link (or any direction at all that isn't exactly with the center link's motion), that would indicate the center link being borked. There should be movement in the joints themselves though. They should not however have any slack in the their motion, meaning the ball should not have any slop in the socket. they should have about an eighth inch or so of slack in the entire system (typically from the idler arm's bushing).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my steering. I was under the car taking a video so I could show you guys and just for shits and giggles tried to turn the offending castle nut with my hand and it was indeed loose. I was able to turn it.

I went around and removed the old cotter pins and made sure all the other joints were tightened down securely and installed new cotter pins. I must have under torqued the nut when I installed the tie rod and it somehow loosened up a little over the past 6 months.

Much safer now. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

yeah, that would do it. Might be worth pulling the thing apart at the loose joint to make sure the hole is still round. If its egged out, you really ought to replace the center link. Its not a wear item, so probably it would be a junkyard item.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X