No announcement yet.

Transmission Fluid Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The book says 13qts. Yikes!!! Any recommendations on a type of fluid? I was going to just go with whatever Dextron 3 they had at the auto parts store. I also am a believer in Lucas additives.

Thanks again.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

Comment

for an 86... MercIII (I think this is usually called Dex/Merc in most cheapo bottles) is fine... Merc V is better, but really unnecessary since the old AOD doesn't have a clutch style torque converter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It looks like I'm going with wolfs head Dex III.

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
        If you're doing the filter change yourself, don't forget the o-rings that are supposed to go with the filter. Unless you want to have to drop the pan a second time like I did.
        Could you elaborate? I got the pan gasket and a little square gasket with the filter. Is there something missing?
        Last edited by Whosondephone; 06-16-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

The square gasket is the one you need to check for. I think it comes with an o-ring too but it's already attached to the filter. The square gasket doesn't come attached and usually is hiding in the bottom of the box.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

The Book says NOT to rotate the engine backward. Looking from the front of the car towards the back, do I rotate the engine clockwise? What could happen if I rotate it backward?

Comment

backwards rotation can potentially bind things. typically backwards rotation of a few degrees won't bother anything. Going half to full round the wrong way can screw up stuff.

at least that's what I've been told.

and yes, clockwise on the crank shaft is the proper direction staring at the front of the engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

nothing bad happens. Engine normally rotates clockwise as viewed from the front of the car.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd just drain the torque converter and pan, the rubber gaskets that come with it have done me good in the past x2 and make sure to change the filter..

Oh. And. If your magnet in the bottom of the pan happens to be 'hairy' looking with pieces of clutch material.. R-I-P

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I thought I remembered that the oil pump shaft could get bound up if turned backwards?

Comment

Good News Everyone!

It appears I've successfully done it. I found the dipstick hole plug in the pan so I'll assume it was never done. There also was no magnet in the bottom of the pan that I was aware of. No mettle chunks but lots of sludge. The filter looked quite ripe.

It rides so smooth now Thanks for the advice. I hope to get to the point where I can casually post in the "What are you working on now" Thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X