Transmission Fluid Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Fluid Change?

I just hit 100,000 miles. Should I change the transmission fluid? I do not know if or when It was last changed. I would say the transmission fluid looks kind of green. I do not see any mettle chunks. The only problems I'm seeing is hard shifting.

My mechanic has a 88 and he flushed his. He suggests I do the same. I'm not sure that's a good idea. I think it might be better to drop the pan.

I hear a lot of mixed thoughts on the matter. What do you think?

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

Don't flush! Just do a pan drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With new filter

Comment

What Chitownvic said, pan drop and a fluid change with new filter. If you want to be extra thorough, you can drain the torque converter too. I believe you rotate the converter by hand until the drain plug is visible.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Flush would be fine. Less mess and more thorough. You can also pan drop and drain the converter as well. That's almost as complete as a flush would be, but then you have to deal with fluid spilling all over.
          Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
          Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
          Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
          Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Green trany fluid? Now someone has developed Gatorade for our cars???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

+1 change the filter too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you're doing the filter change yourself, don't forget the o-rings that are supposed to go with the filter. Unless you want to have to drop the pan a second time like I did.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Use RTV (gasket maker) to reseal the pan not that junk seal they give you..

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                    What Chitownvic said, pan drop and a fluid change with new filter. If you want to be extra thorough, you can drain the torque converter too. I believe you rotate the converter by hand until the drain plug is visible.
                    X2 Highly recommend this.

Comment

Cool! I'm glad we are all in agreement. Thanks!

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                        Use RTV (gasket maker) to reseal the pan not that junk seal they give you..

I haven't used RTV on my cork transmission pan gaskets in the past and haven't had any problems. Torque specs are pretty light on those bolts. I soak the new cork gasket in transmission fluid quick before installing it to help hold it in place.

If your pan isn't even or there's a nick in the lip, then you're going to need some RTV though.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

they provide rubber (reusable) gaskets with the filters now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            they provide rubber (reusable) gaskets with the filters now.
                            Not that it's especially useful info:
                            New Motorcraft (dealer-ordered) came with a cork pan gasket and cork filter gasket.
                            New Wix (RockAuto-ordered) came with a rubber pan gasket and some sort of paper/fiber filter gasket.

In my case for both the changes I've done, I used just enough RTV to set the gasket on the pan and keep them aligned, since of course the gasket is all folded up inside the box and won't lay flat no matter what you do if you happen to be working anywhere other than a sauna.

Current driver: wagon
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

I never seen them with cork gaskets.. Just the folded up rubber one

Comment

Working...
                              X