kishy's 1983 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kishy's 1983 Town Car

Newly acquired today, thanks to friends notifying me that they saw it pop up in a local Facebook group, here is a 1983 Town Car Signature which I've picked up to strip some parts from. Once I'm done with it, it will either be resold to someone who will derby it, or sent to the crusher. The P.O. bought it because it had a new crate 302 in it and he wanted that engine and trans for a project car. Between the missing powertrain and the condition of the body, it will make absolutely no sense to try to put this back on the road.

It was a factory carb 302 car in Canadian spec, with a non-feedback Motorcraft 2150. It is optioned slightly below my '84, with respect to the seats, wheels, and lack of power trunk pulldown. It does have auto dimming high beams and autolamps, premium sound, keyless entry, illuminated entry.

My time with this car is expected to be fairly short. I currently plan to pull the seats (for the wagon), the radio (to keep for reasons), the cluster (as the clock in mine is seized), probably the door switch panels as they're in good shape (though 83 is different on the driver door). The bumpers (aluminum) are in fair condition but I don't need them. I do need some work done to my trunklid (rust spots and rusty bottom lip), and am undecided if I'd rather fix my original or just use this one. There will be various other little bits I harvest as well, such as the chime, which works perfectly. The tail lights and reflector panel are pristine. It has a 2.73 rear end, so there's nothing good happening back there. It does have pretty much brand new front rotors, so those I plan to take. It also has KYB Excel-G shocks, which if they appear to work at all, I will take as well.

This car also has a very good condition absolutely massive radiator (the thickest Panther rad I've ever seen), and a gas tank that looks substantially newer than the car. I'll likely be keeping these for other uses. It is a factory dual exhaust car and has the elusive driver side hangers, as well.

Below photos are before I bought it, with the engine still in it:

Below photos are from today, minus engine:

If anyone wants anything, speak up.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

If you're pulling the door panel, any chance you can get me the body-side connector plug for the keyless door entry? I have an 82 or 83 piece on my 86 and it should be the same as what that car has. On my long list of shit to do was actually install the keyless module but I haven't gotten around to it. I know I do not have the mating connector though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Green exterior with blue interior? There’s a combo.

I’d be interested in the side view mirror assemblies if they’re power and you’re not wanting to keep them.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

How does the headlight trim/grille surround chrome look? Door handles? Is the rear reflector pristine enough to bother boxing up to ship south?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          If you're pulling the door panel, any chance you can get me the body-side connector plug for the keyless door entry? I have an 82 or 83 piece on my 86 and it should be the same as what that car has. On my long list of shit to do was actually install the keyless module but I haven't gotten around to it. I know I do not have the mating connector though.
          That shouldn't be an issue. I can add it to your soon-to-be-a-pallet of goodies.

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          Green exterior with blue interior? There’s a combo.

I’d be interested in the side view mirror assemblies if they’re power and you’re not wanting to keep them.
          Honestly, the colours seem kind of jarring together at first, but after a little time to adjust to it, it works. It's very distinctly "of its time", and these sorts of colour schemes on cars disappeared right around this time (early-mid 80s), making sort of a brief reappearance in the 90s, and then nothing like it ever since.

I don't know if I like it or not, but I find both the interior and exterior colours to be tasteful. They work together in an odd way.

The mirrors are power, and they work. The thermometer is screwed though. I would have kept them for myself, but technically have no need for them.

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
          How does the headlight trim/grille surround chrome look? Door handles? Is the rear reflector pristine enough to bother boxing up to ship south?
          I'll have to take a closer look at the headlight surrounds and door handles. The grille itself has its finish flaking, and the grille surround has that "spotty" thing happening to it that I don't know the cause of, but affects all of these sorts of pieces eventually.

The reflector panel is very good and probably worth shipping down, but I may have plans for it. Regardless, that means it won't be crushed with the car.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
            The mirrors are power, and they work. The thermometer is screwed though. I would have kept them for myself, but technically have no need for them.
            Damn. That's what I was kinda interested in, but no sense in going through all that work to get them off with the thermometer the fritz. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a car down here. Thanks though.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

no requests from the car. Just wanted to comment that it has the typical seat "lean" like other early 80s panthers (I think your Town Car did that too?).

Either way, pretty neat to see one still up there. Love the patch job on the quarters. Nice parts car.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

The seats look quite nice material wise. I now notice the lean mentioned above...Is that a fatigue issue or a broken weld/component issue?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Interior looks dark green to me. I’ve seen a few others with this combo.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

With respect to the fabric colour, I do think it's a sort of greenish blue, but not a traditional "dark green"...though it's hard to be sure. The seats are better than what's in my wagon so even if only as a temporary step, they'll be useful there.

With respect to the seat lean: yes, my 84 had this, and I identified what caused it: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post827518

The circular tube runs left-right inside the seat and forms the structure that prevents the seat back from flexing diagonally. Tube breaks, seat flops, as only the left side hinge locks with the recline mechanism.

The metal frame of my wagon seats is still good, so I will just do to these seats what I did to my 84 seats. Seat frames with this defect can absolutely be fixed by someone who can weld in a reinforcement that functions the same way as the original design. Using larger diameter and thicker walled tubing would probably be wise.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

The UV rays from the sun always fade that dark blue material to a greenish blue. I've had 2 box panthers, plus one parts car, with dark blue seats faded to that greenish blue color. Makes me wonder if the top of this '83 was originally a blue color. It would be interesting to see the color of the top underneath some trim or somewhere where the sun don't shine.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Funny my 89 MGM had the seat lean but the 89 LTC was perfect.

The car above is Aquamarine Moondust with an Aegean Green Roof and dark green interior. In 1983 the Sig Series could be had with the dark green cloth or leather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-27 153653.png
Views:	1
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	1286883
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Dark green? I guess I see it. Maybe it's just the way the pictures display on my end. Honestly, dark green would make more sense.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I will concede that a lot of the interior is dark green, but some items are absolutely blue, and I suspect it's an unusual two-tone sort of thing. The dash pad is blue, as is the parcel shelf (flat surface behind rear seat). The seats are somewhere on a spectrum between green and blue, greener than "normal blue", but bluer than surrounding green parts of the interior. When I can get the wagon and this to be in the same place as each other, that will reveal how far off the seat fabric will be.

This car has had serious mouse nest issues and absolutely reeks inside, but fortunately the seats seem to have fared pretty well and don't stink (at least not against the background stench).

Started pulling it apart (far from done though). Posted the roller for sale on a demo derby page. Got some detail shots of things.

Pics in jumbled order:

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

I think those sealed beams are not so sealed anymore.

Corner lenses look pretty good. Getting difficult to find decent ones of those.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X