PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: kishy's 1991 Grand Marquis

all the CFI are belong to me

Default kishy's 1991 Grand Marquis

Next to branch off from My Rides: my first Panther, and my first road-legal car. Bought in April 2012 for $3200, the most I have ever paid for a car and perhaps the most I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    The story behind this is pretty straightforward. I didn't have a car, but I wanted one. I like full size sedans. I searched Kijiji for Grand Marquis, and I found this...priced a little high, but I just kinda had a feeling when I saw it. A few weeks later, done deal! Bought from original owner, older guy who wouldn't be driving anymore.

Attachment 39310Attachment 39311Attachment 39304Attachment 39303Attachment 39306Attachment 39307Attachment 39309

This car is stock except for a pretty basic radio replacement, 130A small frame 3G alternator, Delco Remy 4 note horns, headlamp re-wire with relays, sequential turn signals and 1990 P72 cluster.
    Oh, and it currently sits on CC819 rear cargo coils but that's likely to change either for a factory RAS retrofit or at least the sedan cargo coils to calm it down a bit.
    In addition to what's mentioned above, the CC819s got swapped out for 817s after a while, it got a 98-02 brake upgrade with Speedway 925 coils at that time, which were eventually swapped for Moog 8652s because I hated the ride on the stiffer lower springs. It also has 93-94 cupholders retrofitted into the dash (a benefit of the 90-91 dash).

This car now has door dings and body rust. I'm pretty sure, due to the orange peel, that it was repainted and that may have been done to try to cover up the rust that has now found its way through again. Wheel well lips, below fuel door, rear quarters behind the wheels, around the cornering lamps...the common offenders. Underbody is pretty much perfect, on the other hand. Most likely this car will be my first project in quality body work, a bit down the road (that whole money and time conundrum).

She needs love, and she'll get it, but not quite yet. She was my DD from April 2012 to October 2015 when I got my Ranger on the road, then again for spring/summer/fall 2016 until I got the Lincoln on the road in time for winter. Aside from moving in my driveway it hasn't been driven since.

Mechanically she's OK, has lopo low oil pressure and what sounds like a little piston slap though. I've also suspected clogged cats for a while now and will be replacing them when I do the whole exhaust, which will be necessary also before its next emissions test because the exhaust is rusted off at the Y-pipe. Most likely she's staying off the road until the wagon is mobile. Further updates will appear in this thread when the time comes.

Oh, and that carriage roof...it has a Haartz Cambria roof installed by ASC with "carriage roof" noted on the build sheet from under the carpet (so it's factory, but not done by Ford). It makes the interior of the car in a rainstorm very, very quiet which is an awesome feature, but the cleaning and upkeep of that fabric is incredibly time consuming and labour-intensive. Vinyl (a very different material) is way easier to care for.
    Last edited by kishy; 09-29-2017 at 10:20 PM.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Does it have red interior? If so... dang awesome color combo with the roof and the HPPs makes it even better. I'm not usually a fan of the 88-91 GM but this one strikes me at just right.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Do the HPP wheels still have the Ford center caps? I've been looking to help my dad get a set of those wheels for his 2000 CVPI, but all I can find locally are GM wheels. I'd be more than willing to pick up a set of those wheels if I could maybe swap center caps with you.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Does it have red interior? If so... dang awesome color combo with the roof and the HPPs makes it even better. I'm not usually a fan of the 88-91 GM but this one strikes me at just right.
    Yes, there's an interior shot embedded in the OP but it won't show up unless you click the link since it's attached in the original thread. It's currant red leather. The front seats were recovered at some point and don't exactly match but in non-direct sunlight it looks OK usually.

The subtle red pinstripe near the body line works really well with the red interior and even with the rust this car has developed I still find it incredibly beautiful when I put some detailing time in.

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Do the HPP wheels still have the Ford center caps? I've been looking to help my dad get a set of those wheels for his 2000 CVPI, but all I can find locally are GM wheels. I'd be more than willing to pick up a set of those wheels if I could maybe swap center caps with you.
    Yes, I have two sets of HPPs, both with complete sets of Ford logo centre caps, one set they're all cracked and the other I think they were OK.

I'd be down to swap a set in the right circumstances, shoot me a PM if you want to work that out.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards