• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kishy's Ranger Trailer

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I'd watch that thread.
    Good enough for me!

While I'm sure it is somewhat not really a "ride" at all, I have a utility trailer which consists of the rear half of a 1988-92 Ford Ranger. The conversion from truck to trailer was technically done by an owner before me, but due to the amount of reconstructing I am doing to this thing, I'm going to take a certain amount of credit for it...after it's done. I bought it for too much money in 2015, a few months after the Ranger itself. It's in reasonably solid condition but is cosmetically not so hot thanks to a piss-poor paint job by the previous owner. Between the then-2.0-equipped Ranger being unfit to tow anything and there being no hitches on my other stuff, the trailer turned into a shed for my scrap take-off parts.

I have not been able to locate a VIN on it, but it appears to have a 7.5 rear end.

Overall to-do list from time of purchase until the time it hits the road behind one of my vehicles is as follows (no progress on below until July 2020, and only a few of these items are done so far):
    • Rewire lighting from end to end, including a harness ground instead of going through the hitch ball.
    • LED lighting
    • Replace shoddy trailer jack made of bed frame with a proper swing-away trailer jack.
    • Replace welded-on safety chains (poor quality chain and welds)
    • Replace 1-7/8" coupler with 2"
    • Correct fitment of cap on bed
    • Add lift supports to rear hatch of cap
    • Add functioning latch mechanism to cap
    • Add tongue box and more effective spare tire storage
    • Add tailgate check straps/cables
    • Replace shocks (ideally with ones that actually work)
    • Maybe add a sway bar
    • Swap the stock Ranger steelies with P(assenger) tires out for proper trailer wheels+tires
    • Remove all dead weight and clutter such as brake lines, cables, brake parts, dead wiring, fuel tank straps and so on.
    • Change axle oil and check bearing play, replace if appropriate (in doing so, identify gear ratio and if it's limited slip in case it would be an upgrade for the truck)
    • Get it weighed and plated

2015:

2020:
    Pulling it out from the back of the yard where the tires have been rotting:

Removed brake lines and wiring (wiring was done poorly and is a complete re-do)

Made a new harness (isn't pretty as seen here but is super solid)

Functional lighting!

(incandescents to test, LED coming shortly)

I've tweaked the fitment of the cap on the bed, so now the hatch closes properly. I've attached lift supports to it which work perfectly. Just need to get adequate latch hardware for it. Wanting to stay away from the bolted on hasp solution if I can.

There is one tailgate check cable, need to get a second. The tailgate is how I know it's an 88-92 donor truck rather than earlier - it had the aluminum covering on it, which I have removed.

I've also attached a new trailer jack to the tongue. I may add another to the rear bumper to make the trailer stable enough for loading when not attached to a vehicle.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-20-2020, 09:17 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Should paint it red, even if its just brush paint of a similar color to the truck.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like it. The idea of a vehicle pulling another part of itself as a trailer always seemed cool to me.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've always liked the idea of these things, but they're a lot less common than they used to be, at least around here.

Wouldn't mind doing that with my F-150 after the cab falls apart, come to think of it.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria
        1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
        1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Yes! This thread is now a reality.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Should paint it red, even if its just brush paint of a similar color to the truck.
          Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          I like it. The idea of a vehicle pulling another part of itself as a trailer always seemed cool to me.
          All of this. Really cool to see two sets of taillights that are identical. I need a trailer like this for my truck, would be sweet.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I definitely plan to...red for the bed, white for the cap. Ideally a matching contractor/utility cap would appear for free/nearly free, but that's maybe unlikely.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Originally posted by Stocker View Post
            I've always liked the idea of these things, but they're a lot less common than they used to be, at least around here.

Wouldn't mind doing that with my F-150 after the cab falls apart, come to think of it.
            All of this. Really cool to see two sets of taillights that are identical. I need a trailer like this for my truck, would be sweet.
            There is definitely some sort of "cool value" to a vehicle pulling another part of itself as a trailer...when the trailer looks like it belongs with the tow vehicle. In my case it's likely the wagon will tow the trailer more but we'll see.

There are significant disadvantages to making these, however:
            • They tend to be too softly sprung for trailer duty (where you want a stiff suspension), as ride quality matters on a truck but not on a trailer.
            • They have a tendency to want to be heavier behind the axle which limits your loading options.
            • Repair of things like bearings/hubs is made slightly more complicated by not using generic/sort of universal trailer parts (but on the flipside, the use of a vehicle drive axle also eliminates a lot of those concerns entirely by not having adjustable bearings and so on)
            • They are heavier, and with a higher centre of gravity than a purpose-made utility trailer.

Last night, I removed more crap. Factory and additional exhaust hangers, remains of fuel tank strap, poorly implemented and inadequate spare tire mount, exhaust heat shields from above the previous home of the muffler. Also replaced the shocks with super old CarQuest-branded Gabriels picked up from RockAuto for the purposes of the trailer some time ago. They work much better than the junk ones I took off however are still pretty soft.

Mocked up positioning of tongue box and spare tire (the actual spare will be the better of the two currently on the axle - the one mocked up as the spare will be one of the tires in-service). I need to try to get more weight further forward as this thing wants to tip back with only moderate weight behind the axle.

I'm thinking something like this, to mount the tire vertically as shown against the front of the bed:
            https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...nt/A-p8051880e

Or, something like this, to mount the tire vertically or horizontally (likely vertically) on the frame further forward:
            https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...nt/A-p8112575e

I think the latter option helps more with tongue weight but might interfere with the trailer jack.

Updated to-do list as of 2020-07-20:
            COMPLETE
            • Rewire lighting from end to end, including a harness ground instead of going through the hitch ball.
            • Replace shoddy trailer jack made of bed frame with a proper swing-away trailer jack.
            • Correct fitment of cap on bed
            • Add lift supports to rear hatch of cap
            • Replace shocks
            • Remove all dead weight and clutter such as brake lines, cables, brake parts, dead wiring, fuel tank straps and so on. (still have one backing plate installed, but otherwise done)

TO-DO:
            • Replace welded-on safety chains (poor quality chain and welds)
            • LED lighting (should be arriving soon)
            • Replace 1-7/8" coupler with 2" (not strictly required but seems wise)
            • Add functioning latch mechanism to cap
            • Add tongue box and spare tire storage
            • Add tailgate check straps/cables
            • Maybe add a sway bar
            • Swap the stock Ranger steelies with P(assenger) tires out for proper trailer wheels+tires
            • Change axle oil and check bearing play, replace if appropriate (in doing so, identify gear ratio and if it's limited slip in case it would be an upgrade for the truck)
            • Get it weighed and plated
            Last edited by kishy; 07-21-2020, 08:07 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I bet you could add some leaves from some junkyard spring packs for a cheap spring stiffening. The longer ones should give you some stiffening without much height. Or maybe you could snag some overloads.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Stack in a couple extra leafs and you're good to go. Maybe Explorer or 4x4 parts if those leafs are heavier.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed, there are cheap junkyard methods to stiffen this. I think Explorers do something goofy like run the springs under the axle though...but either way, there's a way to do this. Unfortunately with the border closed to non-essential travel (a lot of Americans seem surprised by this when I talk to them - not aware it is the case), it's difficult for me to get any yard time in. Someday I will return to the land of cheap junk.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic that this is going to be functional and road-going fairly soon, though there is no rush. Fine-tuning of things like suspension stiffness can come later.

Edited in a pic above which I forgot when I made the post (last pic is the new one).

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

The tire on the right in that first pic looks like it dates back to the mid or early 80's. Wowsah!

Makes sense about the loading and such. I never really thought about that. What about a box from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck though? Seems those have tons of leaves on the springs and are just about as stiff as it gets. That's probably how I'd try to roll.

Comment

The tire on the right in that first pic looks like it dates back to the mid or early 80's. Wowsah!

Makes sense about the loading and such. I never really thought about that. What about a box from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck though? Seems those have tons of leaves on the springs and are just about as stiff as it gets. That's probably how I'd try to roll.
                      On the right of the photo, making it on the left of the trailer? Yes, it's extremely old, but in remarkably good shape. That one was the spare with the Ranger when I bought it. It will become the trailer spare.

I think the ideal truck to turn into a trailer would be something with minimal overhang behind the rear wheels, and a long box...the shorter the box, the more problems with weight distribution you'll have. Stiffness is valuable but putting the weight in the right places is more critical. I haven't taken this out on the road yet but I can tell you it probably has very bad road manners because it wants to tip backwards. It might be impossible to truly fix that just on account of it being heavier towards the back, but I'll see what I can do to weigh the tongue down.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

It would be on the left side of the trailer. After my experience with tires, I don't care how good they appear to be. It ain't good enough to be on something I depend on unless its less than ten years old. They're blowouts waiting to happen beyond that. You can't always remember to keep it below 65.. I'd probably use the other as as spare. Is the ancient one a bias ply?

Hmm. Great points. If I was a fabricator I'd modify the wheel base. Definitely following thread.

Comment

It would be on the left side of the trailer. After my experience with tires, I don't care how good they appear to be. It ain't good enough to be on something I depend on unless its less than ten years old. They're blowouts waiting to happen beyond that. You can't always remember to keep it below 65.. I'd probably use the other as as spare. Is the ancient one a bias ply?

Hmm. Great points. If I was a fabricator I'd modify the wheel base. Definitely following thread.
                          The tread is separating on the other one, as is pretty typical...newer tires don't last as long. Both radials.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

They're both junk then, lol. A spare is a spare I guess, it's just there in case. I'm still bitter about the tires that have failed me.

Comment

The trailer continues to slowly approach road-readiness.

LED lighting is installed. When I remade the harness for this, I used 3157 sockets. Philips Ultinon 3157 red LEDs have gone in, and are performing quite well.

I am thinking of some sort of utility lighting for this thing, perhaps strip lights somewhere in the bed/cap along with LED 3156s in the reverse light housings. Could easily borrow power from the tail light circuit and put them on a switch concealed inside, or maybe in the forthcoming tongue box.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                              X