Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this on the driver's side rear axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this on the driver's side rear axle?

What is this thing on the rear axle? It's on the driver's side of the pumpkin.

I never noticed it before but today I was down there and can't figure out what its for.

There's a stain of gear oil or something on the axle right below whatever this thing is. Maybe it's vent of some sort? I don't know. I tried prying it out thinking maybe it's a zerk fitting. That didn't
    happen.....

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	what_is_this.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1302572

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Probably a vent

Comment

I had no idea what it was, but I looked up axle vents just for kicks and found the following eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-80-...b5c8d3&vxp=mtr
      (The item number is 191104403667.)

It looks like the sort of thing I wouldn't bother messing around with unless I really needed to.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Axle vent. Little seepage around it is normal.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Keep it clean, lithdoc's 89 had some gunk built up around it that looked like it was keeping the cap slightly open enough to allow more than just the little normal seepage. I cleand around it but haven't seen the car since then.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

mine has a hose on it still (U shaped to help prevent water getting in).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ah okay. Cool. Thanks guys. So it is a vent. I'll just leave the thing along then.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

looks like a ghost to me
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Lmao!

Comment

Working...
                  X