transmission cooler lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission cooler lines

Just making sure where these attach - I am seeing a few drips on the right/front side of the transmission pan. without crawling under the car, I think the cooler lines are on the left side, but maybe not?
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

The cooler lines are on the passenger side of the transmission.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

+1 passenger side of trans... driver side of rad on boxes.

driver side of the trans is either the gear selector port or the pan itself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Big thank you guys. Saved me a little time this morning. So the leak may actually be one of the cooler lines then - that is the side it is on. Are the lines on these cars prone to leakage?? I know pan gaskets can wear too, just a bit surprising that this started up suddenly.

thanks-
        95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
        90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

My experience has been that the lines are not prone to leaking unless they have been disturbed, but that's just my experience so I would be curious to see what others have to say.

I once had the lower fitting smashed on my 89 MGM, I have no idea how it happened but whatever hit that fitting somehow left no evidence anywhere else on the trans that it had been there. It was definitely a wtf moment when I found that fitting disfigured and leaking with no other damage anywhere near it.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            My experience has been that the lines are not prone to leaking unless they have been disturbed, but that's just my experience so I would be curious to see what others have to say.

I once had the lower fitting smashed on my 89 MGM, I have no idea how it happened but whatever hit that fitting somehow left no evidence anywhere else on the trans that it had been there. It was definitely a wtf moment when I found that fitting disfigured and leaking with no other damage anywhere near it.
            From perhaps a limited sampling I can say I have never had a tranny line leak. Had to mess with old/new fittings when I installed a new radiator on my '87 about 2 years ago but that's it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Mine aren't leaking but they are starting to look pretty crusty by the oil pan. Up higher, they're fine. I gave them a coat of rust paint to hold them over longer but I can see them become an issue in the next year or so.

Also, just a side note: besides that my car isn't really rusty at all besides some surface rust. (Surprising for a life long Long Island car)
              Last edited by slack; 03-18-2015, 03:04 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Some of this depends on the attach method. I think your car is late enough that they do not have the quick connect fittings anymore, but those really sucked as far as leaking, especially if they had been disturbed at all. If it looks like 2 hex fittings screwed together, you have conventional flare fittings. if its only one hex thing screwed right into the trans with the steel line going into that, you have quick connects. The trans end should be the same as the radiator end, so have a gander there first.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, it was the pan bolts loose. One of the front/center pan bolts was also missing. Service manual says they are M8 x 1.25 x 15, which seems right length wise, but typically the head on an M8 bolt is a hell of a lot bigger than 10 mm hex. I could only find 20mm length at Lowes home improvement, so if that is the right thread pitch, will cut it off. Also, forgot to mention it's a flange style bolt.
                  90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

yeah its a funny bolt with a flange and a reduced size head. You could cheat and just use a flat washer instead if it comes to it. I don't have any extras here or I'd just send you a couple.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No worries - I just cut it down to 10mm with a dremel cut off wheel and cleaned the threads up a little. Damn thing has a 13mm head.
                      90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

On the radiator, which line is the feed and which is the return line?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                        George Burns

Comment

RETURN (cool) line

Pretty much the same on the rad. AOD uses the bottom for return while the AODE/4R7x uses the top.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If the plumbing made sense, the bottom on the radiator would be the hot side, and the top would be the return. I would not expect it to make sense though. From memory here, my factory cooler plumbs into the lower fitting on the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              RETURN (cool) line

Pretty much the same on the rad. AOD uses the bottom for return while the AODE/4R7x uses the top.
                              Thanks! The plan one day is to install a trans cooler after the radiator.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                              George Burns

Comment

Working...
                              X