Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 and 1990 AOD transmissions what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never knew about the driveshafts being aluminum on the newer cars. Good to know. However, this car will just be a grocery getter, so I may not upgrade to aluminum, but that depends if the donor car even has an aluminum shaft.

I checked out your 89 GM. It looks like my 88 is a twin to yours! See attached photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07-DSC04407.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	1277264Click image for larger version

Name:	01-DSC04401.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	1277265

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Wow! That car looks amazing! Since I've owned it my 89 never looked as good as that 88 you have. I'm going to have to get an Arizona car some day. Another member near me, lithdoc, has an 89 MGM from Arizona that has no rust. I've seen his car in person, worked on it a little and even drove it. It amazes me every time I see that car how there is no rust, too bad the previous owner was in an accident and the passenger side quarter panel is a little messed up.

I took a look again at the video in the thread that was posted above, it covers everything you need to know about swapping that shift lever and also mentioned swapping the TV arm along with the shift lever which wasn't mentioned above. That only involves unscrewing one nut and should be obvious when you look at each trans that it is different between the two.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I stumbled across this car by accident on Kijiji (same as Craigslist) and bought it. I knew the transmission was slipping when I got it. However, I had to do a a lot of cleaning and polishing, as it was filthy when I got it. I have changed the seal for the shifter arm once before on another car, so I think this should be a snap.

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X