No announcement yet.

8.8 rebuild and new gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I'd have thought it would be the road races that need the conversions more, since they load the crap outta them C-clip. Drag-racing is straight line stuff, shouldn't be much forces trying to snap the axle shafts ends off and allow the wheels to go on their merry way...
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Drag racing allows C clips down to a certain ET below that elimination of them are required. Sanctioned road racing its not legal to run C clips.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I must be missing something - if drag racing wants C-clips eliminated, and road racing outlaws them, what is the problem? Other than the cost I mean, why not just lose the C-clips and cut the axle shafts and avoid this whole spacer mess?
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I wonder if Mustangs axels stick out a touch more? Figuring 2 after market companies both need adjusted in the same direction. Anyone know if Ford kept that dimension standard across the board?
          sigpic
          89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
          "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
            I wonder if Mustangs axels stick out a touch more? Figuring 2 after market companies both need adjusted in the same direction. Anyone know if Ford kept that dimension standard across the board?
            There are now 3 different axle offset dimensions for the 8.8 that i know of. 2.50" up until a certain year then then increased and then newer increased some more some is depends on vehicle. There are also a few different housing end flanges some dependent on years and vehicle.
            Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-17-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

So basically, it's a mess?

Comment

tHINK fORD COULD HAVE SAVED SOME MONEY BY STANDARDIZING the flanges come to think of it there might not even be a C clip eliminator kit that bolts to a Panther flange.
                Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-17-2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

That could very well be the case. Which makes me wonder if the kits designed for Mustangs will work in Mk7 Lincolns, with their ABS tone rings and all...

Comment

Figured this would be good to ref here to aftermarket brakes .. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...kes&highlight=
                    sEE PICS OF FLANGE POSTS #3 and #5

This shows all the axle tube end flanges ...... http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...xleFlange.aspx

The panther uses what is listed as the SMALL FORD but is horizontal rectangular shape with same bolt pattern instead of round with the flat at the top. The only differance in the panthers I KNOW OF newer ones turned the flange vertical instead of the old style horizontal

See

Comment

Working...
                    X