Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_124346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1280530

Now with pictures!

Comment

Thats been fixed before, and poorly.

If the frame is that bad there, I'd be highly concerned about what it looks like in the places that it usually does rot out. Have a good look under the A pillars. If thats gone and into the area where the lower control arm mounts, you've got problems.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That square tubing is someones previous repair. I use the term repair lightly.

And that frame rail is completely shot, I wouldn't waste a dime trying to repair it. Shame since the rockers and floor pans look decent.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yikes scarrrrrrry frame mang. You can fix it but as the others have said, it's probably hiding many sins you can't see. Or this is someone's hokey repair to an otherwise good frame - still warrants replacement imho.

Time for a frame swap.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That is a real shame to see. It does not look promising however where there is a will, there is a way. It will take a talented welder to save it especially if there are other areas needing attention. If the rest of the car is really nice, it might be worth fixing.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If that had been caught quite a few years ago it could have been repaired easily - a 5ft long piece of channel spanning the entire length of the rail and stitch-welded onto every piece of good metal left would have been the way to go. Then whenever she goes under the knife for body mounts more plating and welding could and probably should have been done. Unfortunately this is not the way they chose to fix things, looking at the pics there's nothing left of the frame rail side walls to attach channel and plating to, they look paper thin. The way to fix this mess now would be to lift the body off the frame at least on that side, and essentially fabricate a whole new frame rail. Not impossible, but not a quick and easy one-day fix. Not cheap either...
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

'98-'02 frame swap (not sure if the whale Grand Marqs got the 2 inch extension like the boxes did or if the frames for CV/TC/GMQ were all the same for that genration) is your most cost-effective solution. There are likely more '98-'02 panthers in local wrecking yards than box panthers. Which means you've got better odds of getting a nice donor for the swap.

But there are other benefits. It's an opportunity to replace the likely already shot to hell body mounts with aftermarket polyurethane mounts. There's no better time than during a frame swap. Also a '98-'02 frame is a better base to build off than box or aero frame. Because unlike the earlier frames, the '98-'02s let you use later control arms and other early whale suspension upgrades. Probably other benefits too others please chime in if I'm missing something here.

Most importantly, it'll have a lot more structural integrity than what you have on there. That is positively fucked. Like, worse than stuff I see in wrecking yards.
                  '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                  '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                  '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Another nice panther lost to frame rot. RIP.
                    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X