No announcement yet.

Rear disc conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you have a new housing and a posi carrier along with a swaybar and and aluminum driveshaft. Nice. So I see you plan on new bushings & I guess from your 1st post a new clutch pack.
    Just occurred to me to ask if you are sure you have a 28 tooth carrier? Where did you get it?

Do you intend a complete rebuild of the housing or just a swap of the carrier and axle seals? I would at least replace the outer bearings for sure. The carrier bearings are relatively simple. It is only the pinion bearing that gets a bit more involved. If you can go all the way and replace the pinion bearing it should be good as new if all is set correctly. You do have to be prepared to take some time if you go that route. Most reuse the original shims and come out in spec but occasionally they need to be re-shimmed.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I cleaned the housing and got some caked on stuff off, washed it and let it air dry, the primed and put some chassis gloss black on.
      And sprayed the control arms, ENS bushings in those.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I guess that is the 1st decision point, poly vs. rubber.

The red & black looks sharp.

Also those silver colored "wheelie bars" will look cool on the back.
        Last edited by jaywish; 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          So you have a new housing and a posi carrier along with a swaybar and and aluminum driveshaft. Nice. So I see you plan on new bushings & I guess from your 1st post a new clutch pack.
          Just occurred to me to ask if you are sure you have a 28 tooth carrier? Where did you get it?

Do you intend a complete rebuild of the housing or just a swap of the carrier and axle seals? I would at least replace the outer bearings for sure. The carrier bearings are relatively simple. It is only the pinion bearing that gets a bit more involved. If you can go all the way and replace the pinion bearing it should be good as new if all is set correctly. You do have to be prepared to take some time if you go that route. Most reuse the original shims and come out in spec but occasionally they need to be re-shimmed.
          Yeah I intend to rebuild the whole rearend (send it off to a good shop to do it &#128514 I just want to do it once and call it done. I have a posi from a mustang that will be going in the new rear since it has a open diff in it currently but will be putting the 3.27 gears in instead of the 3.73 gears the posi came with.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            I guess that is the 1st decision point, poly vs. rubber.

The red & black looks sharp.

Also those silver colored "wheelie bars" will look cool on the back.
            What is the difference from poly and rubber or which is better for the rear

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
              I cleaned the housing and got some caked on stuff off, washed it and let it air dry, the primed and put some chassis gloss black on.
              And sprayed the control arms, ENS bushings in those.

Looks nice Do u have a link to your i would like to read up on it

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                What is the difference from poly and rubber or which is better for the rear
                Polyurethane lasts forever and doesn't dry up and crack like rubber. It also does not care if it gets soaked in oil, rubber on the other hand will soak the oil up and start getting softer. Poly is also stiffer, which generally means better handling as the axle doesn't deflect as much under hard cornering. That stiffness is, however, the major downside for poly - it does little for absorbing vibrations, instead it transfers most of them up the chain of command, all the way to the seat and steering wheel if poly body mounts are used as well. Some people like the extra stiffness of the suspension and are not bothered by the increased road feel in the driver seat, some find the extra vibrations being transferred to them majorly annoying. People will often mix and match too, do poly for the lower arms but leave rubber in the uppers, as a way to get the best of both worlds.

Personally I like poly bushings in suspension, they are easier to install and they stay put after years of service. OEM rubber bushings also stayed put for a long time, but new aftermarket ones are shit and often their rubber separates from the outer shell (had one Panther do that on the front in just under 2 years of use, Moog-brand bushings even).
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

One day later finally took it out with the wife's help. Heavy ass fuck

Comment

Good wife, keep her! lol

And yes, rear axles are heavy, it's mostly the cast center section that houses the diff and gears. But considering their purpose in life, I'm not sure I'd feel very confident in them if they were light.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                      Looks nice Do u have a link to your i would like to read up on it
                      I have a thread here somewhere, I think. Not sure if ALL info is in there though.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

The limo axles are even worse.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Im going to be cleaning it today after work any advice before I tear stuff up.

Comment

Just keep track of parts that come off, a small box should hold all the bolts

Comment

wear gloves if you pull the diff cover to drain the oil. Shit stinks.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                wear gloves when you pull the diff cover to drain the oil. Shit stinks.
                                FIFY! Really tho, never blindly trust a junkyard axle, way too many things could be going wrong inside it.

Comment

Working...
                                X