4.5 inch back spacing good for my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
    I have 3-3/4" BS on my wheels. My front wheels have what seem to be plenty of room. I think with a 4-1/2"BS and a 9" wheel, it would work. But I would find a guiny pig first and test it.
    What dia tire is on the front of your car? Or what tire brand and size?
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

what does "dia" mean and turbo mrtld had bullit wheels on his car with 5.72 and 1 inch spacer so it makes it 4.72 right ( thas what i thought) so wouldn 4.5 fit
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire
        what does "dia" mean and turbo mrtld had bullit wheels on his car with 5.72 and 1 inch spacer so it makes it 4.72 right ( thas what i thought) so wouldn 4.5 fit
        Dia = diameter of the tire.
        They will fit on the rear but in the front with that dia tire you gave me and that width when you make a turn the tire will hit the rear inner fender well.
        mrtld may be using different size tires.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
          What dia tire is on the front of your car? Or what tire brand and size?
          All my wheels are 3.75" BS, 15" dia, 8.5" width. Front tires are Yoko. Avid ST 245/60/R15 (26.5" dia), rear are Yoko. Avid ST 255/60/R15 (27" dia).

I have not rolled any of my fenders, hower, I did notice when I decided to remove my wheel well chrome, that one of the front tires had managed to reach and touch it at some point. It did not do anything noticable, and did not touch the fender, just the chrome trim. This was more than likely durring my high speed clover runs though.
          Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-15-2006, 01:26 PM.

Comment

So if you had 4" offset they would not hit. Since your tires are narrower than a 275 50 15 a little bigger dia will work. My 275s also hit the chrome strip inner edge so your at the outer limit of the fender well. Mine hit only on the drivers side.

Comment

some pics
              Last edited by turbo2256b; 06-06-2006, 03:37 AM.

Comment

so than should i roll my fender or extend or cut some out
                sigpic
                1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

or should i just get some 16x7 for the front with 4 inch back spacing
                  sigpic

Comment

Here are the front tire dimenssions for the tallest, widest, tires, wheels that fit inside the front inner and outer wheel well:

Diameter-----------25.9"
                    Section width------11.2"
                    Rim width-----------8.0"
                    Back spacing--------4.0" = 0 offset.

Inner wheel well clearance:
                    If a 4.5 back spacing is used (.5 inset) the tire section over all width would have to be reduced by 1 inch or a total section width of 10.2 or less

If the back spacing is 4.75 (.75 inset) the tire section would have to be reduced 1.5" or a total of 9.7 or less

Outer wheel well clearance:
                    If the back spacing is 3.5 (.5 outset) the tire section overall width would have to be reduced by 1 inch or a total section width of 10.2 or less.

If the back spacing is 3.25 (.75 outset) the tire section would have to be reduced 1.5" or a total of 9.7 or less.

As the width narrows the tire diameter can be increased. Just how much will depend on offset and is best to trial fit or go with an exact combo that worked for someone else. Lifting the car will allow a bigger diameter.

A wider tire can be used if the outset is increased but the diameter must be reduced to clear the weel well lip at some point or lift the car to clear.

I did try the 295 50 15s on the front once with the 10" rim with 5" back spacing and the tire hit the upper control arm and would not rotate by hand. A spacer or outset wheel woud be needed but the fender wouldnt clear at the rear and would need cut or raise the suspension or a smaller diameter tire.

Isssues with the 275 50 15s on the front 8" rims 4' back spacing. This tire's specks are what I listed at the begining they are BFGs.
                    The tires just bairly hit the rear front inner fender well. Right about were the brake pedel would be inside the car. The tire hit the wheel lip trim on the inside edge on the drivers side only. Ride height is stock.

I could never get the front end allignment exactly right with this set up. Many attempts got close but there just didnt seem to be enough adjustment built in to make it work. My 70 Mustang runs the same size and offset wheels and tires and worked great. My guess is the designers engineers didnt work the suspension out as well as the strut rod suspension on the older cars.
                    Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-15-2006, 04:19 PM.

Comment

That's funny so did mine, driver side only.

Comment

I'm running 245/45/17's with no rubbing anywhere.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                          I'm running 245/45/17's with no rubbing anywhere.
                          You would most likely find looking up your tire and wheel specks they would fall inside the perameters I stated above. The rim diameter dosent change anything. Your 45s are shorter tires than 55s

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                            That's funny so did mine, driver side only.
                            Either were too thick or maybe right hand drive would hit on the right side

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
                              You would most likely find looking up your tire and wheel specks they would fall inside the perameters I stated above. The rim diameter dosent change anything. Your 45s are shorter tires than 55s

They do fit within the specs. Just stating what I had, because it was metioned earlier.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                                They do fit within the specs. Just stating what I had, because it was metioned earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X