Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I can get around them (my brother and his friend swapping the motor in my brother's '93 Celica GT), I'm dropping the exhaust. I'll cut at the tailpipes and install turndowns, to get rid of the tailpipes (I hate 'em) for a cleaner look. I'm gonna try to grind the welds at the front of the cats and gut them from the front. If I can do this, I'll be very thrilled. If I can't, I'm not sure what will be the next step with the exhaust.

The shifter should be in Monday or Tuesday. I'll install it and the handle, then order the knob as soon as I find out what size thread is on the handle.

Picking up the yellow top tomorrow- it'll be nice to have a battery that's worth a damn!

The Cragars (17x8 and 17x9) will be ordered as soon as my brother makes the last payment on the 300ZX he's buying from me (should be in the next week). I already have some decent/good 17" tires, a tire installation rig, and a bubble balancer, so they should be installed for cheap/free. The wheels will be ordered with new lug nuts and if I'm feeling frisky enough, I'll go ahead with the chrome center caps.

I'm picking up the '96 suspension in the next two weeks. That won't go in until I have new polyurethane bushings wherever possible and the springs get here (will need to order or have custom springs). I'll do the entire suspension at once, so I don't have to tear it back apart once the springs get here. If I have everything ready at the time I do the suspension, I'll regear and traclock the axle while it's out, to save myself the hassle. From there, the suspension should be finished.

The adjustable rear control arms would be fun, but they're nowhere near a priority, so I'll pass on them for a while.

Once the exhaust is done, if I'm still having the 4,000RPM power loss, money may be temporarily diverted from suspension bushings and such to go toward paying a shop to help me find the power loss. I have NO CLUE what else it could be.
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 06-24-2006, 05:54 PM.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I'm really at the point where I have little to no motivation to continue this. Every day it seems like something else is happening that's keeping it from being driveable. It's just disheartening that I've spent eight months doing all this and it's not reliable, yet. It's killing me.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Power loss. Replace those god-forsaken valve springs!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
          I'm really at the point where I have little to no motivation to continue this. Every day it seems like something else is happening that's keeping it from being driveable. It's just disheartening that I've spent eight months doing all this and it's not reliable, yet. It's killing me.

I know how ya feel.....TRUST ME! 10K so far, stock trans is going, car in pieces supposed to take it on a trip next week....
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Tom- no one with whom I have spoken can imagine valve float at 4,000 RPMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
              Tom- no one with whom I have spoken can imagine valve float at 4,000 RPMs.
              Im getting vlave float at around 5000, with power loss at about 4,500. I contribute the power loss to the very beginnings of valve float, and the heads choking the motor.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Hmm... if the gutted cats don't fix the problem, I'll go ahead and order valvesprings with the wheels and hope for the best. I doubt anything on my motor is restricting anything else, considering it's all stock equipment.

Comment

All reports are the stock Explorer valve springs suck. Shame too, because otherwise its a kickass motor. Oh well, valve springs aren't a major operation to change, even with the heads on the motor.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I'd have known how cheap they are when I was assembling the engine, I'd have swapped 'em at that point.

Comment

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

The entire exhaust on my wagon is fucked. If I can get pictures, I'll do it. I'm extremely pissed at the shitty quality of a "custom" install from that shop. It was three years ago and it's been nothing but problems.
                      I know this has been covered several times, but I need some help. This is what I have pulled together- will it work?

Mustang H-pipe

Mustang intermediate pipes

12" extensions (can't find)

Cheapie mufflers (for now)

Impala SS tailpipes
                      Passenger Side
                      Driver Side

I need to order this soon. Are there any other options? Will the SS pipes fit on a wagon (isn't the gas tank different from sedans)? Any help is very much needed and even more appreciated.

Scott- I know you're the master of Panther exhaust. Do you have any better ideas of what to do? As far as I know, this is what you told me to run. Keep me posted, please.

Comment

Slight modification to plans- just lined up a free offroad H-pipe, so won't need to order that.

Comment

Edelbrock SDT

A consideration, but likely won't happen this go around due to finances. I hear they kick ass, though.

Comment

Edelbrocks are nice. I didn't like the way the mustang stuff fit, nor did my exhuast guy. Mine is custom from the headers to the mufflers. I used edelbrock mufflers and the impala tailpipes. I cut the impala pipes and had them exit similar to the stock exhaust.
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

How do you like the Edelbrocks? Are they the SDT? Are they really as quiet as advertised?

The Mustang stuff would need to be the option so I can do it myself. I don't have the money to pay a shop to do custom work again, nor do I care to pay that much money for another piece of shit system.

Comment

I found out that I can legally run turndowns where I live. That'd clean up the look and save quite a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X