Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lincolnmania
    dont hook up the water lines period. have heard of bored egr spacers leaking
    If you have an EGR functioning without water to cool it, you will have an even better air expander than you already have with water going through it. That is what epoxy is for. Just apply air to the water passage to test it. 90PSI of air is going to leak easier than 15PSI of water.

Comment

I called over to the shop, again, and the guy didn't know what I was talking about when I said someone quoted me $30 for the EGR spacer work. He said they could do it, but it would be $65, not $30. Kinda wish I could remember the name of the guy who answered the phone.

I ordered a FRPP 65mm spacer from eBay. Found one brand new for $40 shipped. The linkage bracket studs on the spacer look the same as my stock one- what's different about them?

I'm still not exactly sure whether I'm going to hook up the coolant lines to it. Kinda depends on how the EGR stuff turns out. I don't think I'll hook up the tube going to the valve, so I'll most likely bypass the hoses running to the spacer... we'll see.

I also went to the dealership and ordered a dust shield (block plate), the oil filter adapter (it's just a small piece that screws onto the stock filter location, yes?), and the idle air control plate. I also had the guy print out the TSB on the IAC plate so I can read up to know what it actually does.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

The mustangs have the studs on the wrong side. If you are lucky it's a lightning one. Those fit PERFECTLY and are made for a 65mm TB. I have a few stock EGR spacers that I can bore out. 20 bucks shipped...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
          The mustangs have the studs on the wrong side. If you are lucky it's a lightning one. Those fit PERFECTLY and are made for a 65mm TB. I have a few stock EGR spacers that I can bore out. 20 bucks shipped...
          Why would the spacer not be able to be rotated 180*? It seems like everything would still be the same... rotated, not flipped.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
            Why would the spacer not be able to be rotated 180*? It seems like everything would still be the same... rotated, not flipped.
            The Manifold side of the spacer is wider on the bottom to line up with the EGR passage flange. If you rotate it 180 degrees, the passage does not line up well. This only matters if you are using your EGR.

After looking at my intakes I thought of something.............
            If you are not using the internal EGR and have the lower intake EGR hole blocked off, all you have to seal is the throttle body and the 65mm ID area of the spacer. You can flip and rotate the spacer all you want. You can use epoxy to plug the passage leading to the ID area of the spacer. This way you could use a new Mustang spacer. I do not see why this wouldn't work. I will add this (mocking it up) to my things to do this weekend and take plenty of pics.
            I still say that the most simple and inexpensive thing to do is to have your factory spacer bored out.

Comment

the mustang egr spacer does not have the mounting studs for the throttle/tv linkage.........nevermind rig something up for the throttle since you are going with a 5 speed.........and keep the egr hooked up.........they run like poopie without an egr valve

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah, the bracket for the cables is totally different on a Mustang spacer. Put the two next to each other, and you'll see the problem.

Another vote for bored out stock spacer. If you can get the brackets to fit up on that 65mm one, do take pics. I have an idea for how it could be done on a Mustang spacer without great issue, but I don't have metalworking supplies or abilities to fab such a bracket. Essentially my idea would make a bracket that bolts to the two rear-most studs on the throttle body and has a plate that the stock bracket would attach to. It wouldn't even be all that hard if I had the supplies and a light duty welder.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  yeah, the bracket for the cables is totally different on a Mustang spacer. Put the two next to each other, and you'll see the problem.
                  Keep the Mustang spacer and bracket bolted together..........use a Mustang TV cable and throttle cable, reaching around and pulling from the front.........

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                  the mustang egr spacer does not have the mounting studs for the throttle/tv linkage.........nevermind rig something up for the throttle since you are going with a 5 speed.........and keep the egr hooked up.........they run like poopie without an egr valve
                  I plan on trying the Mustang bracket and cables. I will post pics once I get it mocked up after this weekend.

If by "poopie" you mean raped ape, then you would be correct. I drove my car year round with the EGR passage not functional and the valve in place hooked to the harness. If you are referring to a high mileage stock CV/GM with the E6 heads and factory cam, then the statement may have more merit.

Comment

I checked the Mustang cable length, and they are not long enough to wrap around. Once I get it mocked up I will be able to see the other options better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                      I checked the Mustang cable length, and they are not long enough to wrap around. Once I get it mocked up I will be able to see the other options better.
                      Think an Exploder cable would fit with Mustang brackets?

Comment

Think an Exploder cable would fit with Mustang brackets?
                        It is possible...........I never had a complete Explorer cable to mess with. None of the bone yards around here save cables deliberately. It is only by chance when one is left intact on an engine. I haven't found an Explorer 5.0 still in the truck to get stuff off of either. The yards seem in a big hurry to rip the stuff out and crush the bodies.

Comment

I don't know what stock Mustang bracketry looks like, but I'll have access to an Explorer to examine the cable length and all that over the weekend.

Comment

I don't know what stock Mustang bracketry looks like, but I'll have access to an Explorer to examine the cable length and all that over the weekend.

PICS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                              PICS!!!!
                              I have a feeling I'm spending tomorrow's lunch break buying a digital camera at Wal-Mart.

Comment

i've heard of using the mark 7 throttle and tv and cruise cable on a towncar with the intake pointed in the stangs direction i think it was a guy over at lincolns online

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X