X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea hd there are red or blue clutch packs
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Red Eagle (or something like that) clutches, usually mentioned in combination with Kolene steels, look in Oregon Performance Transmissions's ebay store for them, they used to carry them last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
        Red Eagle (or something like that) clutches, usually mentioned in combination with Kolene steels, look in Oregon Performance Transmissions's ebay store for them, they used to carry them last time I checked.

you also have Alto Red
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

maybe that was it then, which ones are the better, Alto or Eagle?

Comment

No Kevlar whatever you pick. They don't have great friction properties and will need a whole lot more clamping force to grab. Usually you'll see overdrive bands made from that. It holds up to heat well, but it will have a bit of a slip to it. It makes a decent choice in a track only trans but for street driven stuff, its not so great. The slipping generates a lot of heat which isn't good for the rest of the trans.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What's in store for a valvebody? Not being a tranny expert, I don't know how much they really affect durability, but I was quite impressed with the one in TL's car even though I didn't go for his claimed very firm Third-to-Fourth shift at WOT at around 130mph.

Super-scary thing is, after doing some seat time in my mother-in-law's car, I'm getting friendlier with the idea of a stickshift tranny in the future ..... :p
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

off topic BS moved to where it belongs. Back on topic ktnx.

posts moved to here:
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thank you. *breathes*

I just got the stock valve body...going to have a Shift Kit in it tho....why? is there a reason I should get a new valve body or something?
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                    I just got the stock valve body...going to have a Shift Kit in it tho....why? is there a reason I should get a new valve body or something?
                    Well, dunno, steel valves in aluminum bores, can make for some funky shift action.

Didn't Art Carr make a full manual valve body for the AODs tho? Or was it Lentech? In any ways that would be fun to drive, faster shifts than a manual and no clutch pedal to deal with

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                      thank you. *breathes*

Having thrown away a couple dozen of them due to galled valve bores, yes, either buy Performance Automatic's AOD valve body at around $190 from Summit or Jegs (I can't remember who has them, or just buy them direct from PA), or the Street Terminator from LenTech....at around $430 shipped from Canada.
                      Having used both?
                      LenTech kicks ass, they are built for the vehicle, whereas the PA VB is simply a shelf unit, one-size-fits-all.

Comment

ok..so a new valve body would help out...ok..maybe I should get one.

so something like this?

can someone explain to me what a Trans-Brake is? I've heard of it before...
                        Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM.
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

It is an electronic valve, via the valve body, which activates both the reverse and forward clutch packs, locking the car in place.

Yep, that's it.

Comment

oh..that's interesting....thanx for clearing that up mang.

ok...maybe I'll get it...for 200bux, can't hurt....proly save my trans mang a little time in the buildup.
                            sigpic
                            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

a trans brake is used in drag racing to reach the full stall of the converter.

say your converter is rated at a 3000 stall, well with the foot brake you may only be able to launch at 2600. If you have a trans brake it locks the transmission so you can bring the motor to the full stall at 3000 and launch there.

pretty much every turbo'd automatic car uses a t-brake to build boost before launch
                              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Do those Performance Automatic valvebodies come ready to install, or do you have to reuse your old pistons and stuff?
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X