No announcement yet.

would a c6 or e40d fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a 4.10 and a 32" tire I turn 3000 at 70 with no overdrive. Which is probably much closer to what it really would be in your car with a 3.55 and no od.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by 70torino429 View Post
      Ok, so upon further research, a 3 speed auto such as the c6 might be what i want.

If this calculator im using is at all correct, the following info is what ive gathered.

All calculations were with 27" tall tires, and a 3.55 rear gear ratio.

In second gear, at 2000 rpm, you would be going 62mph

second gear, at 2500rpm you would be moving along at 77mph.

third gear, 1800rpm you would be going 81.5 mph

third gear, at 2100rpm you would be going 95mph.

Am i the only one that finds these calculations a little too good to be true? It seems like attaining respectable highway mpgs, would not be hard at all with the c6 if these calculations are correct.
      Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      that doesnt sound right
      Indeed. Maybe with a low 2.XX gear set.

Plus, a C4/C6 doesn't use a lockup converter, correct? So that means RPM could be even higher with converter slip.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Try to find a 2.26:1 rear gear. It'll be a dog around town, but you can go 70mph in First gear at only 5000rpm! (right about 2000rpm in Third)
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Ok, thanks guys, i knew those calcs couldnt be right at all unless i was using a 2:something rear gear.

Researching a 5 speed as we speak..

Comment

Some other C6 and E4OD notes:

1. A basic C6 drags a minimum of 66 horsepower from an engine's output....a C4 is around 30, while an AOD is around 38-40.

2. An E40D is a bit of a disaster from an engineering standpoint, having R&R'd a couple dozen for a transmission shop....they require a lot of 'fixes' to ensure a long life....there's no way I'd hack out the tranny tunnel for a stock, unrebuilt E40d....unless I was being paid a shitload of money to do so. In addition, the weight gain (the E40D is a monster), plus the same frictional losses from a C6 will slow the car down noticeably....

Just find a 1989-up Super Coupe AOD, or one from a 1989-up police car, or even a 1992-1993 Ford E150 van with a 351W. That's about as good as they get....the Mustang GT AOD isn't as good as these units.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
              Some other C6 and E4OD notes:

1. A basic C6 drags a minimum of 66 horsepower from an engine's output....a C4 is around 30, while an AOD is around 38-40.
              Eek! thats terrible. I didnt know it took that much hp.

From the research ive done lately, the cost and effort of getting an aod tailored to my needs just isnt worth it imo. If i go forth with building the motor i am intending on using, im going to swap in a tko 5 speed.

Comment

Working...
              X