would a c6 or e40d fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 70torino429 View Post
    c6 is cheaper, the e40d is about the same price, but theres no need for a tv cable with a c6 or e40d. lots of e40ds and c6s in junkyards, all id need is a computer from a diesel e40d truck, to run an e40d.
    The diesel e40d computer isn't going to help you much, they are designed to make the transmission shift within a diesels power band, if you put it on a transmission behind a gas engine it'll shift way too soon.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
      Trans came out of a van. I dont remember what lever it had.
      Sorry, I meant the lever and stuff on the side of the transmission.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
        The diesel e40d computer isn't going to help you much, they are designed to make the transmission shift within a diesels power band, if you put it on a transmission behind a gas engine it'll shift way too soon.
        Not only that, but the diesel TECA takes input from like gazillion things - the speedometer, the VSS for the RABS, the FIPL (aka TPS), the brake lights (not the BOO switch, mind you, the actual freakin lights), and most importantly the tach sender. If you use a '92-up TECA you can do away with the speedo, ads those trucks only have the VSS in the rear axle and they use that for both RABS and speedometer functions, but the tach sender is where you'll run into the big issues... Best way to control an E4OD in a vehicle where it ain't a factory install is with an aftermarket controller, the one from Baumann Engineering is pretty sweet and not only does away with many of the factory BS circuits, and it also allows you to program shift points and TCC lockup to your desire, and has the nice feature of paddle-shifting through the cruise buttons on the steering wheel.

Comment

Any stock ECM used to control an E4OD or any other electronic trans for that matter is going to have bsaically the same inputs, diesel or gas. The specifics may be a little different, but it still needs all the same data points to work right. The other logistical concern is where the heck do you stick a second ECM with all it's wiring?
          Last edited by gadget73; 06-13-2009, 04:02 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the guy with the 289 powered aero is running a c6
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

That's a lot of transmission for a 4.7L! Got any links?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                That's a lot of transmission for a 4.7L! Got any links?
                He's on the "other" site.

Comment

The lever was stock with what came out of the van. E 250 with a 300. Bolted right in the truck after I built a new driveshaft. Dont remember anything about the crossmember though.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Any stock ECM used to control an E4OD or any other electronic trans for that matter is going to have bsaically the same inputs, diesel or gas. The specifics may be a little different, but it still needs all the same data points to work right. The other logistical concern is where the heck do you stick a second ECM with all it's wiring?
                    Not entirely correct Thain, a gasser PCM controls both the engine and the trans at the same time, while an IDI diesel PCM only controls the trans and really don't care much for what engine the vehicle has as long as it's turning at the proper rpms and the TPS shows acceptable voltage. This is why an IDI diesel PCM would be a preferred choice if you are retrofitting an E4OD where it normally don't belong, it must be an IDI unit tho as the PSD is all computer-controlled, just like a gasser.

Comment

He's on the "other" site.

and so is the 460ci/c6 box....

Comment

id really appreciate it if you could get some measurements, but im in no hurry really, so take your time.

most of the ones ive seen, as far as small block c6s i see are mostly in late 80s-early 90s broncos and ford pickups, and theres plenty of those in junkyards. im not sure what year exactly they did away with them, somewhere in the early 90s (somewhere around 91-93 i think) they all got replaced with the e40d. but the majority of the late 80s ones could still be had with a c6, ive only seen them on rigs with the 351, so i dont know if they came on 302 trucks, but i would assume its a possibility.
                        Small block C6s were in pretty much every truck/van from the late 60's all the way to the '90s the first time I have ever seen a C4 was in a fairmont wagon.

I have seen a C6 used from factory in a mid production '96 F-250 with a 300 in it.
                        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Ok, so upon further research, a 3 speed auto such as the c6 might be what i want.

If this calculator im using is at all correct, the following info is what ive gathered.

All calculations were with 27" tall tires, and a 3.55 rear gear ratio.

In second gear, at 2000 rpm, you would be going 62mph

second gear, at 2500rpm you would be moving along at 77mph.

third gear, 1800rpm you would be going 81.5 mph

third gear, at 2100rpm you would be going 95mph.

Am i the only one that finds these calculations a little too good to be true? It seems like attaining respectable highway mpgs, would not be hard at all with the c6 if these calculations are correct.

Comment

Ok, so upon further research, a 3 speed auto such as the c6 might be what i want.

If this calculator im using is at all correct, the following info is what ive gathered.

All calculations were with 27" tall tires, and a 3.55 rear gear ratio.

In second gear, at 2000 rpm, you would be going 62mph

second gear, at 2500rpm you would be moving along at 77mph.

third gear, 1800rpm you would be going 81.5 mph

third gear, at 2100rpm you would be going 95mph.

Am i the only one that finds these calculations a little too good to be true? It seems like attaining respectable highway mpgs, would not be hard at all with the c6 if these calculations are correct.

that doesnt sound right

Comment

Thats what i was thinking.

these were the trans ratios i used for the c6.

1st gear: 2.46
                              2nd gear: 1.46
                              3rd gear: 1.00

I believe these are correct?

Comment

most transmissions use a 1.00 3rd gear.

2500 rpm, 3.55 and 27" tire from that calc is 56.6mph which sounds much more realistic. Driving a c4/c6 is like driving an AOD in 3rd all the time....

Comment

Working...
                                X